• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

FS: Tanaka R2 240mm wa-gyuto - your unicorn

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkdc

Reaction score
First, the price - Asking $375 shipped. I forgot how much I bought it for but It was some time ago. I've only honed and stropped this knife. It has never hit the stones. The grind goes right down to the edge (barely a visible bevel), and there are tiny tiny microchips which will sharpen out on the first pass on stones. I'm guessing this is because there really is no bevel yet on this knife. It comes with the original Tanaka wooden gift box.

My #1 complaint about this blade is that it exhibits some flex due to the thinness. It is ground unbelievably thin. I'm thinning the herd, and I have too many lasers. This is a very thin laser, and it goes through food with less resistance than my Sakai Yusuke and Konosuke HD.

Also, this knife was ground very thin as you can see by the measurements. The gyuto measures exactly 240mm on the cutting edge. Blade width is 50.5mm

Weight is a svelte 143 grams.

Spine thickness measurements
2.46mm - above the heel
2.20mm - 2cm in front of the heel
1.65mm - 12cm from tip (mid-blade)
1.15mm - 2cm from the tip

There are some scratch marks on the right side face of the blade next to the choil, but I cannot get them to show up on the photographs no matter how hard I try.

On the photo with two knives, it is the larger knife on top.

I just actually wanted to say that I bought the 210 from bdkc (the bottom knife in the above picture) and that it is an amazing knife, but obviously I came too late to the party :)

Glad someone bought it - saves me from temptation

Back