Reground, Reprofiled Richmond Ultimatum in M390

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tk59

Founding Member
Reaction score
I reground and reprofiled this knife for a fellow forum member who couldn't bear to use it in the form he received it. When I got it, it was warped, overground toward the tip, underground toward the heel, thick behind the edge, with a handle that was too small for the blade and generally a POS to use. Hopefully, it's a little better now that it's been on a diet, lost a few mm at the tip and the heel and reground to compensate somewhat for warpage. It's still not perfect and I overground the heel a touch. Regardless, he's requested feedback on the blade, in general so I'm taking requests to be included in a short passaround. It's about 235 mm on the edge and 45 mm tall at the heel and heavily right-hand biased. If you're a regular (6 mo 200 posts and I recognize your handle) and you're interested, reply to this post.

I'm in for a 390. Curious why he didn't send it back.

I'm in for a 390. Curious why he didn't send it back.
He thought he might try fixing it and things weren't working to his liking. Are you a homecook or a pro? That makes two for the passaround so far. I'll take a few more.

Former pro, now home. Cheflarge has taken excellent care of several of my knives. He's a pro for sure. You want me to leave the knife as is and just use it, no problem. Have done 390 as well

Sounds good. You're both in. That makes three.

I don't believe I have before pics but I'll check. At the time I took this up, I thought it would be a private interaction. That makes four.

Here's the order: mhlee, Mrmnms, cheflarge, and brainsausage. The knife is currently with mhlee.

This knife will be going out by early next week. I just have a few more tasks I want to try with it.

TK, if the list is still open, I'd really love to check it out and see what you've done with it. I'd especially like to be able to compare it side by side with one belonging to a chef buddy. His is axe-like.
Sure thing. I guess you'll be after brainsausage. Geographically, it might work a little quicker to go to Michigan, Maine, Long Island then Texas... Mike, if you haven't already shipped, maybe we can switch this around some? Otherwise, no biggie.

Sure thing. I guess you'll be after brainsausage. Geographically, it might work a little quicker to go to Michigan, Maine, Long Island then Texas... Mike, if you haven't already shipped, maybe we can switch this around some? Otherwise, no biggie.

I bought some stuff to cut today so it'll go out on Monday. Just tell me where you want it to go and I'll send it there.

Tinh, did you do all the work by hand/stone or have you gone down the grinder hole?

Tinh, did you do all the work by hand/stone or have you gone down the grinder hole?
I've had one of those little cheapie grinders for a couple of years now and ground six knives from blanks on it, in total. After grinding a 330 mm suji on it, I've decided I'm either retiring from doing major grinding jobs or getting a bigger grinder. At this point, retiring is winning, lol. That's a lot of work, not to mentions it's dirty, uncomfortable, too... That said, I'll probably still get a bigger grinder once the kids figure out I'm not the coolest person on the planet.

@Miles: You're welcome. :)

I've had one of those little cheapie grinders for a couple of years now and ground six knives from blanks on it, in total. After grinding a 330 mm suji on it, I've decided I'm either retiring from doing major grinding jobs or getting a bigger grinder. At this point, retiring is winning, lol. That's a lot of work, not to mentions it's dirty, uncomfortable, too... That said, I'll probably still get a bigger grinder once the kids figure out I'm not the coolest person on the planet.

I can only imagine, yeah you'll have to go one way or the other, LOL. :D

I've sharpened and thinned this model knife before. They were nothing like this. The improvement is huge. It is nothing like stock and a great improvement. I used it on a large variety of fruits, veggies and protein, comparing against some pretty nice knives, it held it's own for sure. Super hard steel and this was extremely well refined by Mr Tk59. I will use what he as a reference for future challenges.

I now have possesion of the M390. I will put it through the paces at work this week. Am very interested to compare to the other Richmonds I have in my kit.

I don't think this ever happened....

WOW, WOW, WOW, this thing cuts like a dream. Almost seems as though TK59 did a convex/concave type of grind on this beast. Edge retention, balance and overall performance are WAAAAAYYY above par (compared to the Richmonds I have). If CKTG could profile this knife like this OOTB, they would really have something. Increcible job TK59.

:razz::razz::razz::razz::razz::razz::razz::razz:
2088.JPG
2085.JPG
2100.jpg
2092.JPG
2089.JPG
[
2099.jpg
2098.jpg

I apologize for dragging my heels on this. I need the addy of whoevers next. It was miles I think? I don't know if the rotation got switched or not.

Back