It's great spreading the knowledge

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miles

KKF Supporting Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
I really enjoy teaching. On occasion, I'll give private instruction. I have a couple of friends who asked me to come to their home, evaluate their cutlery situation, and teach them how to sharpen. What I found was about what I expected, a lot of cheap knives and a couple decent ones. I was somewhat surprised to find that they had a King stone, which I used to teach them how to sharpen their knives. By the time I left, they had a decent feel for how to use the stone and the very dull knives were quite useable. I gave them some advice on how to fill out their lineup of stones and knives as they start on their wedding registry. It was really enjoyable watching them suddenly start to "get it" especially as they used the stone.:thumbsup:

+1. Unfortunately, I run into far more of the "sharp knives are dangerous" crowd...

I really enjoy teaching. On occasion, I'll give private instruction. I have a couple of friends who asked me to come to their home, evaluate their cutlery situation, and teach them how to sharpen. What I found was about what I expected, a lot of cheap knives and a couple decent ones. I was somewhat surprised to find that they had a King stone, which I used to teach them how to sharpen their knives. By the time I left, they had a decent feel for how to use the stone and the very dull knives were quite useable. I gave them some advice on how to fill out their lineup of stones and knives as they start on their wedding registry. It was really enjoyable watching them suddenly start to "get it" especially as they used the stone.:thumbsup:

:goodpost:

I recently had an ex employee of mine stop by for what turned into a two hour sharpening lesson. When we had finished he tried to hand me $20. I just laughed and told him to keep it. He's off to culinary school with a sharp TKC clone and a better understanding of how to sharpen it. More than payment enough.

Like the name of this thread.I have cooks that I've worked with & some I haven't come to my House.Enjoy teaching others,Industry was good to me,seem to get 12 pacs. of Heineken.Have not bought beer in a while.:beer:

i just taught a guy who is a school age apprentice he works twice at week at the resturaunt and he picked it up really well. its awesome watching someone else enjoy something i love so much haha.

I am a contractor and had thoughts about donating some time to a few restaurants between contracts to see if I can pick up some experience. Ever since I was a child I wanted to be a Chef, but now a young Grandfather I would just love to learn more about fine cooking.

I believe that you are teaching more than sharpening...

a) motor skill... some never acquired or never use their motor skill.Never do any serious handjob. ..which means using their sense of touch or engage their senses and hopefully they apply it to whatever they do ( if possible) and should attain higher performance level.

b)A few took their edge tools seriously and only one took to kitchen knife collecting with a very specific Burke Gyuto order (in the making)

c)One took to acquiring a few " grasshoppers".

d)98% cld have a very decent edge ( very acceptable level) as generally the edge wld be better than they started ( no sharpening). A few gave up. A few needed over 2-3 sessions as they didnt have any basic strokes at all. I find that a second session takes the

e) of the few regular" hawkers"/ food stalls that I frequent often ( and became friends with) and sharpened and repaired , they always want to return the favour with a free meal of which i accept only once. Other times I have to stipulate the price for the meal and still get a very generous portion! can be Quite embarassing..

f) MY most unforgettable experience was in Cambodia.. when I was buying rubber cup lumps ( raw rubber materials). He was operating general provision store adn also selling live fish and meat.I repaired all his cheap knives and sharpened on my Naniwa home stone ) 1000 and 3000 combo) adn when I left the place after a year , I gifted him my wusthof chef knife adn my Tojiro Petty. It was considered a serious gift as teh mean average salary is USd 45 per month. We became serious friends as I was invited for a local home cooked meals quite frequently.

g) of course there a ladies that tends to to take advantage.. I always tell them to come after midnight if they want to play with my stones .... that frightens them

h) There 's only one person that I do it once a year when they have to prepare a major feast for chinese new year.Signature dish " popiah" where you roll your own spring rolls. A week before I wld appear to sharpen all their knives and over the year. Since 1 am a fixture at such gatherings... I have gifted many knives including 12 petty knives and 12 cutting boards for cutting popiah, and a couple of custom knives. Taught their domestic helper who can do a acceptable sharpening.

IN reflecting... give a man a fish.. you feed him for a day... teach a man how to fish..you feed him a lifetime.. It can be satisfying indeed.

rgds Z

Back