Finally Pulled the Trigger...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After a long time since my last knife order, and deciding who would be my next acquisition, I decided on the damascus master, Devin Thomas. Just placed an order for a 10" damascus (pattern TBD) western chefs. Now to sit and wait for what everyone is bragging about. Judging from pics and posts, this will be as exciting as when I recieved my Kramers. :jumpy:

Congrats Jason. You won't be disappointed. Are you getting carbon or stainless?

An excellent choice! Can't really go wrong with Devin. How long is the wait?

Always carbon, i'm hooked. I don't know for sure, but I am thinking a year?? I am in no hurry, I have plenty of things to keep my mind occupied in the meantime. Only special considerations I asked Hoss for were to make the handle out of stabilized wood due to the altitude/dry air here in Colorado, and I would like a unique damascus pattern. With this crowd, it's hard to set yourself apart, there are just too many creative minds!

You need to get someone to loan you a knife with DT AEB-L. Its performs close to carbon, and you don't have to baby it. I've left mine with vegetable juices all over it overnight with no ill effects.

Devin is a long wait :) Hehe

But all customs are a long wait, and the worse part is that it even feel longer than it is.
And the AEB-L is AMAZING :)

You won't be disappointed. I watched Devin do one of his custom knives from start to finish from feet away. I don't think there are many his equals when it comes to making damascus steel. His grind, handle shape and finish is outstanding and top notch HT goes without saying - he is a walking encyclopedia on metallurgy. PS: it also helps to have a son who is studying to become a metallurgist. :)

M

Ask Hoss to show you his herringbone damascus. He made a santoku for Mark Richmond from it and that blade was outright beautiful. Pictures just don't do it justice, you have to feel the surface of the herringbone to appreciate it.

Rick

Nice. I was thinking about getting one of his customs too. BTW, how much does it cost? lol

You will be VERY happy. It is the only blade I have ever owned that I can't find a flaw on,I wish it was a 240mm:doublebanghead:

I read the comment before seeing who wrote it, and I thought "must be new here".

I read the comment before seeing who wrote it, and I thought "must be new here".

May be new or naive about collectors knives, although after seeing your amazing review of the equally amazing Michel Rader pass around knife i'm coming to understand a couple of things.

If you're the Ordo I think you are, you know a thing or two already! :)

Really waiting a year for a knife?

I have been on his list since I got my Spoon. I think that's about 14-15 months now with no light at the end of the tunnel, sorry to say his wait is over a year hope it's not a two??

Dillard's are both on ebay right now if you dont want to wait a year or more.

I have been on his list since I got my Spoon. I think that's about 14-15 months now with no light at the end of the tunnel, sorry to say his wait is over a year hope it's not a two??

Yeah but you got a spoon!

Michael, I've always wanted one of yours as well. Figured you had to go all master on me ;) One of these days.

I believe his asking price was around $140 an inch for damascus, depending on the pattern.

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question,but when you say $140. an inch is that from tip to heel,or the whole mass of the blade(like per sq inch)?

Nice

I hope you will be happy with your Burke. What I can tell is that Mr Burke is a great smith putting his perfection into his knives. He will give you the best knife possible. Koa is awesome, and my favorite wood. Congrats :) I would also add Marko to the list if I was you. He is going to make some killer knives!

But Burke and Devin is perhaps the best smiths in the world atm. Congratz!! no vacation 4 you this year :)

Back