Thread: San Mai Nakiri Take 2

San Mai Nakiri Take 2

Hey guys. I wanted to share one I finished up for a client.

This is san mai damascus over 1095 core. The RC on this one is 61/62
    Blade is approx 180mm long and approx 59mm tall at the heel.
    Spine thickness is at just under 2.5mm tapering to about 1mm at the tip
    This one is ground thin and should be a amazing cutter!

The handles are Mammoth ivory with African Blackwood bolsters, copper and black spacers with copper and brass mosaic pins!

Thanks for looking. As always comments or critiques welcomed.

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Available Knives

You sir, are a wizard!

Yeah, not bad

Thanks Guys!!

Just digging through old posts looking for this to chow a client and figured I would BUMP IT, because it only had 2 comments. and the ivory alone is worth at least 3 comments.. lol

Blessings
    Randy

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Available Knives

Really nice blade, its very rustic with the san mai random damascus and ivory, the HHH mosaic pins, liners and really small mosaic pins in thé ferrule are a great touch and class the blade up immensly, elevating it to that HHH level we all know and love. This really could be a knife that summerizes how i view you as a maker, someone who liked to take rustic materials and teansform them into true works of art. Theres a reason your the only us maker in my kit. If i was going to change one thing besides the adress you shipped it to id probably want it a smidge taller into prep monster 62-65mm area.

Thank ya very much. Thats a great complement and sums up what I strive for.

This cutter and its parts, refect a piece of me and my spirit.. Its always nice when others "get it"

Stay sharp my friend.
    Randy

Available Knives

I'm a big fan of the handle, I've only ever seen ivory that was white, but really like this

Really not my style but a really great art and craftmannship! Well done Sir!

i may ask: Why you choose 1095 as core?

Greets Sebastian.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpchef View Post
    Really not my style but a really great art and craftmannship! Well done Sir!

i may ask: Why you choose 1095 as core?

Greets Sebastian.
    Thanks. As far as the 1095. I use to use it ALOT, Both for this application as well as for mono steel carbon blades. Its a great steel when properly heat treated the grain size and hardness make a amazing cutting tool. I have switched to using Hitachi Blue#2 for most of my San mai now. Which is every bit as good as the 1095 and even better in some ways.. edge stability and retention. and higher RC.

Blessings
    Randy

Available Knives