Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: tips for a young chef?

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    Food is the easy part.
    I'd like to help but I wouldn't know where to start.
    Maybe a vague piece of advice. Learn to compromise and in the end it's all about money.
    Too true but it takes a lot of years of beating your head against a wall before you can accept that truth.

Once you go exec there is no one left to teach you. Do you feel like you've picked up the finer points of team management from your previous jobs? You will need ways to make sure everything is going according to plan even when you are not there, especially so at a hotel. Or, you will always be there. Then it is a big good luck on the home front. If you have never worked for a chef that successfully managed the work/life balance this will be a very hard move to keep control of. The overwhelming temptation is to sacrifice yourself for the job for the first couple years. If the pay is amazing and you think you will be there for ten years it could be worth it. But I am guessing if you are early 20s that the hotel smells a bargain here and could be looking to ride you hard for very little to try and deliver to the bottom line. Remember you are an asset but your $$$ value is probably less than the hood system. No offense, I'm sure your a good guy and make great food. I just think you should think hard about the worst case scenarios that could develop and what 'costs' they could mean for your life and the life of your family.

Good luck! Let us know what you decide!
    'I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying.' Woody Allen

Thanks chuckles. I believe you are right in every aspect. Ill know for sure tomorrow after meeting the district manager and talk $. But as it looks now, I'm getting screwed. Not worth missing the family in my eyes. Thank you everyone for thw advice and wisdom of elders.

Jared

Spokane, WA aka Spokanistan, or Spoklahoma, or...
    Hi jared. I want to give you the best piece of advice I ever got and repeat it to myself and everyone I know basically every day since I got it. It really helps. I got a list of rules from chef one day when I just started a job. This advice applies to every situation in life. The advice was rule #1 on that sheet. Rule #1 was: Don't fn^k yourself. Trust me...it works. Meditate on that for a while. Good luck with your journey man!
    Amat Victoria Curam Fortune favors the prepared.
    "A human being is primarily a bag for putting food into." -George Orwell

No matter how upset you get during service, you look up and all the tickets will still be there.

-Michael

I'd give it a miss. Put yourself in a position to learn for as long as possible. It'll be hard to ever take another role once you're used to a certain rate of pay and calling all of the shots. It's also hard walking into an existing crew, and given your age you'll have cooks twice your age trying to undermine you. You basically need no chinks in your armour. But ultimately, trust your gut