Quantcast
Pizza oven for home use? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pizza oven for home use?

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    Kyle, if he doesn't want to mess with charcoal, wood, or clean-up then why get a pizza oven? Woodfired pizza is the reason why people get these ovens. Good luck!
    Jason

The BGE is better than a dedicated pizza open. The BGE gets hotter than gas, has more uses, costs less and tastes better.

Dave
    Who you jivin' with that Cosmik Debris?

Big green egg makes great pizza

Deleted, doesn't want to mess with charcoal

Big Green Egg all the way for homemade pizza!!! And just about anything else that makes its way onto it as well...

Looks like I've talked him BACK into getting a Big Green Egg!

I modded my Weber Genesis gas grill by placing fire bricks around the sides and back of the grill. Then I placed an unglazed quarry tile over top (had it custom cut to size). Pizza cooks on a pizza screen directly over the fire. The tile cooks the top. Makes great pizza that I'll put up against a wood fired oven any day. Entire mod cost about $30.

Quote Originally Posted by hutchla View Post
    I modded my Weber Genesis gas grill by placing fire bricks around the sides and back of the grill. Then I placed an unglazed quarry tile over top (had it custom cut to size). Pizza cooks on a pizza screen directly over the fire. The tile cooks the top. Makes great pizza that I'll put up against a wood fired oven any day. Entire mod cost about $30.
    Sounds like a cool setup, I love cooking hacks (especially outdoor/grill related). I'd love to see pics of the setup! However, my boss won't go for this, it has to look good in addition to cooking good.

Here are a few pics.
    1. When not in use I keep the bricks and tile against a wall.
    2. First line the grill with fire bricks. Had to cut the back bricks so that they would fit widthwise and so that the pizza would have enough room.
    3. Quarry tile goes on top.
    4. Pizza cooks on a screen over the fire.

I typically set this up and then heat the grill on high for 20 minutes before use. Then turn it to low and cook it covered until done. Depending on the crust and toppings I'll adjust the fire.

Also, it's easy to take on and off. The other night I made a couple appetizer pizzas, then took off the tile/bricks with oven mitts and grilled the main course.

Quote Originally Posted by hutchla View Post
    Here are a few pics.
    1. When not in use I keep the bricks and tile against a wall.
    2. First line the grill with fire bricks. Had to cut the back bricks so that they would fit widthwise and so that the pizza would have enough room.
    3. Quarry tile goes on top.
    4. Pizza cooks on a screen over the fire.

I typically set this up and then heat the grill on high for 20 minutes before use. Then turn it to low and cook it covered until done. Depending on the crust and toppings I'll adjust the fire.

Also, it's easy to take on and off. The other night I made a couple appetizer pizzas, then took off the tile/bricks with oven mitts and grilled the main course.

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.