Quantcast
WIP - First Knife - Page 3
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: WIP - First Knife

Well, I am starting heat treating tonight. Will grind over the weekend.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Hey awesome Marko - I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by watercrawl View Post
    Although I think it silly to wish you good luck as you've seemingly got enough natural talent to make incredible work as anyone I've ever seen....good luck.
    +1
    You have a natural talent for this kind of thing and a very keen eye for details and aesthetics, and I am absolutely confident that you will grind out some very, very nice blades after a round of trial and error. Somehow I don't expect that period of trial and error to be very long as you seem to be very dedicated and a pretty fast learner Good luck anyways. I am looking forward to seeing the results.

DarKHOeK

OK, so I heat treated and ground my first knife. Still need to do some grinding, finishing, and putting an edge on it but the bulk of work is done. 180mm on the edge, 52100 oil quenched, 62RC.

It was a lot of work. Between heat treating and grinding, it took me over 12 hours of labor. Granted I picked thicker stock (5.65mm), and worked very slowly, but still. I tip my hat to those who trodden this path before me.

I followed Devin advise and ground this knife without any marking or layout - free hand, to get a feel of the process. It think it will take a number of blades to grind to get comfortable, but that's OK. I have plenty of friends who could use a good knife (albeit a second).

M

PS: I quenched a desire to make a knife, now back to custom work.

God in heaven - and this is your first!

It looks absolutely flawless to me, but hey, I already knew that. You would never present something sub par your own quality mark, and we all know from your other work that mark is waaaay up there. Congrats on your first born, Marko. I am truly impressed by the result even though I expected nothing less from your able hands and perfectionist mind. Hopefully I will be able to afford one of these beautiful babies before you have to rocket your prices due to high demand and never ending back-logs

DarkHOeK

This is a practice knife, so I must of got lucky the first time. I am not done yet, so I still have a chance to mess it up.

I got a few hiccups while working on it, so will try to avoid them in the future. Learned some lessons too, but still a lot more to learn.

M

Looks great Marko!

Devin told me that the first would come out good...the second one you'd try to correct the mistakes made in the first and it would get messed up. He hit the nail on the head there. My second knife sucked.

I take Devin's word as a prophecy.

Quote Originally Posted by watercrawl View Post
    Looks great Marko!

Devin told me that the first would come out good...the second one you'd try to correct the mistakes made in the first and it would get messed up. He hit the nail on the head there. My second knife sucked.
    I'm still trying to figure out how to fix my second knife! I corrected what I didn't like about the handle, now to fix the blade!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig