Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: WIP - First Knife

I typically grind to about 10/1000 on the edge and then take it to the sharpening station to set the bevels by hand, then go back to some more grinding and then onto polishing. As I grind, I frequently dip blade in water to stay cool, same when I sharpen, to rinse the blade. If there is no anti-rust agent in the water, your blade will start rusting on you.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

I haven't had that problem with the O1 that I'm using. We have pretty soft water here, though.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    I haven't had that problem with the O1 that I'm using. We have pretty soft water here, though.
    I do all major grinding with a 50 grit belt, so scratches are deep and that's where discoloration is visible right away.

M

Right now I'm grinding a blade with 24, but I have started with 36 and another with 50. We have magic water here in PDX.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    Rust is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    Rust is good.

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    Same here. I'm not big into single bevels, but love the honesuki/garasuki shapes. I use my double-sided Carter Muteki as a hefty petty... What you are showing looks great and I'd definitely be interested in a narrower than usual shape. Just wondering: Do you also sharpen the top of the tip - not sure how to say it, but you'll know what I mean.

Stefan
    I think I will make honesuki/utility and sabaki my first production knives, while I am practice grinding other types. Now the big question is what would you prefer - more sharpness (edge stability is excellent and edge retention is excellent) or slightly less sharpness, but with excellent edge stability and phenomenal edge retention? The latter will be a little harder to sharpen though.

M

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    I think I will make honesuki/utility and sabaki my first production knives, while I am practice grinding other types. Now the big question is what would you prefer - more sharpness (edge stability is excellent and edge retention is excellent) or slightly less sharpness, but with excellent edge stability and phenomenal edge retention? The latter will be a little harder to sharpen though.

M
    For a honesuki, definitely option #2. If you need a scary sharp utility knife you can always use a petty. A pretty dang sharp honesuki with great edge retention is perfect for butchering lots of stuff in one session. The sabaki I am not sure. If it it is a utility knife, #1 is fine, if someone plans on using it as a boning/butchering knife, then I would go #2 as well.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Thanks John,
    that is what I thought, but it great to get a reaffirmation from a pro.

M