Quantcast
WIP - First Knife
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WIP - First Knife

WIP - First Knife

Well, this is going to be a long thread, as I am only at a first stage - finalizing testing for a heat treat. I need to ran one more test, and after that, I am going to attempt three knives in different length.

Steel - 52100, target hardness of the finished product - 62. Objective - a good balance between edge stability and abrasion resistance, and of course, a knife's ability to take a keen edge. Will keep you posted and post some pics.

All work is done in-house by me.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Well Dave's knife thread is already 30 pages long, so you got a ways to catch up!

Good luck Marko!
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Maybe not that long.
    I will start grinding mine on the weekend. I don't have high expectations, this is a learning experience, as far as I am concerned, to test the processes.

M

F
    I
    N
    A
    L
    L
    Y

While i'm looking forward to seenig the results of your new venture, i really don't envy you. I would imagine it's an absolute nightmare trying to grind your own knife. Most people believe a kitchen knife is just a triangular lump of steel.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Aphex View Post
    While i'm looking forward to seenig the results of your new venture, i really don't envy you. I would imagine it's an absolute nightmare trying to grind your own knife. Most people believe a kitchen knife is just a triangular lump of steel.

Good luck.
    Actually, I am looking forward to it. I had a blast heat-treating and measuring hardness on Rockwell hardness tester (reminded me of B&W photography development and printing), and I am looking forward to a finished product, whatever quality it will be. I might get lucky, but this is mostly to get a hang of the process. Realistically, I think that the first dozen or two will be giveaways or throwaways - it takes a long time to get good at anything, so my expectations are VERY low.

M

Although I think it silly to wish you good luck as you've seemingly got enough natural talent to make incredible work as anyone I've ever seen....good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by watercrawl View Post
    Although I think it silly to wish you good luck as you've seemingly got enough natural talent to make incredible work as anyone I've ever seen....good luck.
    Thanks Adam. I think I should keep a low profile, from now on, as I don't want expectations

M

Quote Originally Posted by watercrawl View Post
    Definitely. Your attention to detail to your work speaks for itself.

Even if this first batch are giveaways, throwaways or seconds, I'm sure they'll be better than what other people are making.

Best of luck to you Marko!
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

I will do my best and I am sure I will learn a lot.

M

+ Reply to Thread