Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: WIP - First Knife

edge retention all the way for a honesuki

OK, one down, one to go. What handle material for pro kitchen? Any natural materials would be preferred?

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Engorged Member
    See if you can get a piece of Butch's micarta. Durable and uniquely beautiful.

Pesky

I need to select material that is readily available. How does stabilized wood fare in the pro kitchen?

M

Stabilized wood is no issue in the kitchen. I have really never had an issue with any wood handle in the pro setting as long as properly cared for.

Engorged Member
    I like stabilized wood but g10/micarta is more durable.

Pesky

No problems with any wood really, stabilized or not. I have some unstabilized ho wood handles and masur birch. Just some beeswax and oil and they have been fine.

I would much prefer a natural wood handle to a micarta or other synthetic material. I love the cocobolo/micarta handles Devin makes for the ITK, I just don't really care for the handles that are mostly synthetic.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

I was just wondering if there are any Health Department regulations that require certain materials not be uses in pro kitchen.

Natural material (wood and horn) are my favorites. I have a good supply of quality cocobolo. Excellent wood for handles.

M

federal regulations have yet to create a guideline on knife handle material. On the State level, it probably varies a little throughout, but no handle restrictions.

OSHA would probably be the first to jump in on this and create some kind of guideline/restrictions if this gets to the point where a larger number people in commercial kitchens start customizing knife handles.