Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: WIP - First Knife

edge retention all the way for a honesuki

OK, one down, one to go. What handle material for pro kitchen? Any natural materials would be preferred?

M

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Engorged Member
    See if you can get a piece of Butch's micarta. Durable and uniquely beautiful.

Pesky

I need to select material that is readily available. How does stabilized wood fare in the pro kitchen?

M

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

Stabilized wood is no issue in the kitchen. I have really never had an issue with any wood handle in the pro setting as long as properly cared for.

Engorged Member
    I like stabilized wood but g10/micarta is more durable.

Pesky

No problems with any wood really, stabilized or not. I have some unstabilized ho wood handles and masur birch. Just some beeswax and oil and they have been fine.

I would much prefer a natural wood handle to a micarta or other synthetic material. I love the cocobolo/micarta handles Devin makes for the ITK, I just don't really care for the handles that are mostly synthetic.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

I was just wondering if there are any Health Department regulations that require certain materials not be uses in pro kitchen.

Natural material (wood and horn) are my favorites. I have a good supply of quality cocobolo. Excellent wood for handles.

M

federal regulations have yet to create a guideline on knife handle material. On the State level, it probably varies a little throughout, but no handle restrictions.

OSHA would probably be the first to jump in on this and create some kind of guideline/restrictions if this gets to the point where a larger number people in commercial kitchens start customizing knife handles.