Sabatier 4 Star Elephant Chef's Estate Find - Suggestions to clean and re-sell?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am helping a coworker who supplements her income reselling antiques and other stuff. On my suggestion she started watching for Sabatier carbon knifes and landed one recently at a garage sale for half-a-buck. (Also a 2nd knife, but that's a different thread) I want to clean it up so she can net the most from selling it. So my question is how much should I clean it up with fine steel wool, or polish it, and sharpen it, or pretty much leave it alone? What might sell higher? The edge is actually nice, not dished from use / sharpening, just a tiny bend at the tip, and I cannot see any bend to the blade. I wish it were mine. Attached are pictures. She would really appreciate anything we can do for her.

Sabatier 4 Star Elephant Full-S.jpg
Sabatier 4 Star Elephant Handle Side-S.jpg

Sabatier 4 Star Elephant Handle Bottom-S.jpg
Sabatier 4 Star Elephant Tip Edge-S.jpg

I noticed a lot of Sabs on Ebay vintage ones at that. Might check it out for a price comparison.

I would say to leave it. Though I am not as well versed as a lot of the members here..........yet.

For top dollar, sell through ebay at their "market value". Saveur magazine and all of the others have really made vintage chic. Nice knife.

i think i saw one of these selling new on b/s/t/ a little while ago

I haven't looked up the forum rules for selling here on KKF. Roberta doesn't care where the knives are sold or how long it takes to sell because it pays the bills. If she decides to re-handle the other knife (Universal Landers frary & clark) I'll do that at material cost or less just to help out and 'cause it falls under "hobby" for me.

You're looking at $50 +/-. Rehandle is great if it is for yourself, but not for making more money on it... Unless of course you sell it here. And Helllll no, don't touch the patina! Don't sharpen it unless you are one of the best.
Good luck.

Back