Quantcast
Best forced patina for soft iron? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best forced patina for soft iron?

anyone have any success etching soft iron?

dave - so refinish blade with micro mesh pads to say 6k and then do a quick etch? could i just wipe it on instead of dunking in a solution?

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post

dave - so refinish blade with micro mesh pads to say 6k and then do a quick etch? could i just wipe it on instead of dunking in a solution?

Try it out and see. With ethcing iron I think that no matter what advise I give it'll be off, it's always a guess and go from there type of scenario. Please let us know how it works out and what you did.

I got a pretty stable patina on the Fujiyama cladding using paper towels soaked in raw beef blood wrapped the blades and left them over night. Shorter times with mustard or blood did very little.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    'The only real security that a man can have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability.' -Henry Ford

chuck, so it stays put afterwords?

I remember it sticking around and topping the yellow/orange patina from happening. It started to blend into a more general blueish. Long term I am not totally sure, sold it. But looking back on posts I can see how she is doing.

I also have a Kono Fujiyama. I find the cladding to be different than the Shigefusa cladding, but it is equally reactive on some things. I have it in a 210mm petty, which gets used for all sorts of tasks, including proteins (raw & cooked) and citrus. It looks ugly basically all the time.
    'The only real security that a man can have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability.' -Henry Ford

Has anyone tried redpepper juice? I got some interesting staining on a blue steel knife that I had to scrub pretty hard to remove with green scrubbies.

polished blade with micro mesh pads backed with cork upto 12000 grit. then etched in a hot water/vinegar/ferric chloride solution for 30sec at a time x 3. much more stable now. it still changes patina during use, but i havent had any rust issues what so ever.

processed a lot of roasted red peppers today and the patina was something else, looked like some sort of splatter marks, the effected areas being a lighter shade of gray than the darker grey from the etch. and of course cutting raw chicken added blue tints in some spots.

one drawback to the etch is there seems to be increased stiction/drag. is there a way to alleviate this without ruining the patina?

Polish after etching.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

Won't that negate the etching?

I have noticed shallots make a really nice mottled patina... when I use them, I wait to rinse the blade! Also, strawberries make a really dark patina!