Quantcast
Mari in Istanbul (not Constantinople) - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mari in Istanbul (not Constantinople)

I love the pics, thanks for sharing your trip Mari.

Sponsors
    Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    Awesome photos. Thanks for posting.

I LOVE Turkey. I traveled around the country after the army, but since then I have been back to Istanbul a half-dozen times. I've walked crazy amounts of that city and consider it one of my favorite places. I can't wait to go back -- especially after seeing your photos.

k.

Edit: If you go to the Princess Islands by ferry, it has no cars and cats galore. It's pretty amazing -- sort of a cat paradise. Also, in the Muslim world cats are preferred (over dogs) from my understanding. Syria and Yemen were the same way. I think there is some Koranic verse where a dog sat on something of the Prophet Mohammed and he burned it, so they tend to think of dogs as dirty. I could be wrong, but that was what I was told.
    Yes! I was dying to go to the Princess Islands, but we only had 2 days in Istanbul so we wanted to explore. Oh thats fascinating, I didn't realize but makes so much sense. There were a lot of dogs in Istanbul too, but definitely more cats. You can tell which ones were already neutered because they had tags or clipped ears. They were just living free, rolling around in the sun and having a good stray life. I really think how people act towards strays speaks miles about the people there. I felt the same way in Thailand.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    Very nice photo essay! Do you keep a blog of your travels, Mari?
    No, I don’t but I probably should start something since I’ve been traveling so much. Thanks for the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    Cool Pics! Thanks, Mari. Malta was the same way...cats everywhere. And their national dish is usagi, so...? I'm gonna have to consider Turkey for my next vacation.
    You definitely should! It was gorgeous and was one of my favorite places.
    Oh really? I stopped by Malta on the way back from Turkey. Oh my goodness, it was so hot I thought I was going to pass out. I wish I toughed it out a little more than I did, I couldn't handle the heat for too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravy Power View Post
    Great pics Mari, just a little disappointed we didn't get to see you in any of them!
    Thanks! Next time I’ll actually have someone take a picture of me somewhere. LOL I got so wrapped up taking pictures of cats I didn’t even think about taking touristy pictures with me in it.

Quote Originally Posted by toddnmd View Post
    Nice pics.

I lived in Istanbul (Asian side) for a year, and that brought back some nice memories.

Turkey is a great country for travel--tons of history, great food, good prices, many beautiful natural areas.

I remember some of the ice cream vendors using the long metal "spoon" to get the ice cream in the cone. Since the ice cream is a bit sticky than what we're used to, they like to stick the cone on, and then extend that long spoon to the customer. When you reached for it, they would twirl it around and out of reach. It was fun watching them do this to my visitors!
    Yes I agree 100%. Such beautiful weather too! Not too deathly hot even in the middle of summer.
    Ooohh… That sounds like fun. Man, I apparently missed out on some fun ice cream adventures… More reason to go back!

Quote Originally Posted by cookinstuff View Post
    Great pictures Mari, I have wanted to go for a few years now, this just makes it harder to resist. I love the cat pictures, and of course the food pictures, as somebody said, you got a great feel for the place with your photos, thanks!
    Thank you so much for reading! I really appreciate your comment.

Sponsors
    Quote Originally Posted by chefcomesback View Post
    Thanks for the great post Mari , I just realised it has been a while since I have been to Istanbul. Last year we were thinking about opening a restaurant there but changed our minds at the last second . I do miss good Turkish food , since most dishes are labour intensive I am too lazy to cook it at home . Every week on my off days I prepare myself Turkish breakfast with my bread , tea, olives , tomatoes and cheese that is one thing I can not give up.
    Here is a picture of my last Turkish meal ,
    Attachment 18635
    Lahmacun (altough pure origins of this dish goes back to Middle East) it is a good one , I don't know if you had it during your stay there. I remember going to ice cream shop as a little kid with my parents , this thread just brought back memories
    If anybody is interested in Turkish cuisine I would be more than happy to help
    That looks SO good. I miss it all so much. Yes! Please share a recipe or two. I would love to try to make Turkish food at home.
    Thank you for sharing your picture and memories with me.

+ Reply to Thread