Quantcast
Mari in Istanbul (not Constantinople)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mari in Istanbul (not Constantinople)

Sponsors

Mari in Istanbul (not Constantinople)

At long last, I have a moment to post pictures from my wonderful trip to Turkey. I am so behind on pictures I have been wanting to share, but I figure I'd just start if one of the more recent ones.

Little things I learned about Istanbul:
    1. There are stray cats EVERYWHERE.
    2. People in Istanbul like strays. There was pet food and water everywhere.
    3. I love Turkish food.
    4. Istanbul is a transcontinental Eurasian country. The Asia side is mostly residential and the European side is very touristy.

So naturally, this song was stuck in my head and I hope it gets stuck in your head until you close this post :
    "Istanbul was Constantinople,
    Now it's Istanbul, not Constantinople
    Been a long time gone, Constantinople
    Now it's Turkish delight on a moonlit night..."
    - They Might Be Giants

Mado (Turkish Ice Cream Chain) where I stuffed my face with various Turkish desserts.

At Mado, the tour guide insisted that I get "real ice cream." I had to eat it with a fork and knife. After eating it I become a little obsessed with the marmalade that came with the ice cream and bought several jars at a local supermarket.

What is real ice cream?
    "The adventure of “real ice cream” is 300- year adventure of ice cream starting with Karsambac made of molasses, honey and fruit extracts added to snow. The name of ice cream combines with a city in this adventure. Kahramanmaras did not only give its name to the ice cream... With its consistency and special aroma, it gives the secret of taste in K. Maras ice -cream. The milk of goats feeding with wild orchid flowers, thymus and keven greening in plateaus close to clouds in Ahir Mountain and sahlep collecting from bulbs of these orchids gently." - Described by Mado

I also had a dessert made out of chicken breast called Tavuk göğsü. It was kind of like eating very sticky and wet mochi.

"Tavuk göğsü (Turkish: tavuk göğsü, [taˈvuk ɟøːˈsy], "chicken breast") is a Turkish dessert pudding made with chicken and milk. It became one of the most famous delicacies served to the sultans in the Ottoman Topkapı Palace. It is today considered a 'signature' dish of Turkey.
    The traditional version uses white chicken breast meat, preferably freshly slaughtered capon. The meat is softened by boiling and separated into very fine fibers or rillettes. Modern recipes often pound the meat into a fine powder instead. The meat is mixed with milk, sugar, cracked rice and/or other thickeners, and often some sort of flavoring such as cinnamon. The result is a thick pudding often shaped for presentation.
    The dish is more or less identical to the medieval "white dish", blanc manger that was common in the upper-class cuisine of Europe. Some have suggested that blanc manger and tavuk göğsü are, in fact, variants of the same dish." - Wiki

Our jam/perserve horde.

A nice park on the Asia side of Instanbul.

There were tons of super friendly stray cats, which meant I was photo shooting with them and rolling on ground.

The streets of the Asia side. It was very residential and I was told that most people live on the Asia side then work on the Europe side.

Turkish coffee stand

I regret not picking one up for my house...

Market area

Beef pastrami

Dried produce to stuff

A little bit of just about everything.

My amazing clementine lemonade

Falafel

Men and women had to wash their legs and arms before entering the mosque.

Sorry didn't realize it was so dark...

Turkish rug making

Inside the Grand Bazaar

Cats on mosques

There is so much traffic that people (most likely gypsies) were selling snacks and drinks in the middle of the road.

Spinning Turkish ice cream

Ephesus
    "In the year of 10 BC, Androclos, the son of King of Athens-Kodros, was searching a location for establishing a site. Androclos belonged to Akhas, was running from the Dor invasion in Greece. He was leading one of the migration convoys. It was predicted by an Apollon oracle that a fish and a boar would show the location of the new settlement. Days later, parallel to the oracle’s prediction, while frying, a fish fell down from the pan, irritating a hiding boar behind the bushes. The feared boar escaped immediately. Androclos followed the boar and established the city of Ephesus, where he had killed the boar. When Androclos died in the wars with Carians, a mausoleum was built to the memory of the first king of Ephesus. The mausoleum is considered to be placed around "The Gate of Magnesia".

Ephesus was ruled by the Lydian king, Kreisos, in the mid 6BC. The city reached the "Golden Age" and became a good model to the Antic World in culture and art, as well. As the detailed excavations have not completed yet, apart from the Artemis, the remains of that age haven’t been revealed.

Later, Ephesus was dominated by Persians. As Ephesians did not join the "Ionian Rebellion" against Persians, the city was saved from destruction. The rebellion resulted in the loss of Persian. Alexander the Great won Persians and the Ionian cities got their independence in the year of 334. Ephesus was in great prosperity during the times of Alexander the Great Until the arrival of Alexander the Great, Ephesus was consisted of two governing systems, democratic and oligarchic. But the oligarchic system was violated with the coming of a new ruler, and a rebellion existed in Ephesus." - http://www.ephesus.us/ephesus/ephesus_history.htm

Like a boss.

If it fits.

WHEW. lol

Thanks for reading!

I love Turkey! Great shots, too. If you really want a coffee pot, I have a small and a slightly larger one I will be glad to send you. Pm me an address. Kathleen

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Even old New York was once New Amsterdam!
    Why they changed it I can't say.....
    ....people just like it better that way!
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Great mari. Phenomenal shots. You must have some formal training. The shots of the food make me feel like I can almost taste it.
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

Quote Originally Posted by knyfeknerd View Post
    Even old New York was once New Amsterdam!
    Why they changed it I can't say.....
    ....people just like it better that way!
    -lol you beat me too it!

Great photo's Mari, thanks for the share! I felt like I really got a sense of place. What was the weather / temp like? looked really beautiful most of the time.
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

Great photos Mari! I love all the cat photos.

Looks like a great trip. The cat photos were a nice addition.

Mari, thanks for sharing the photos!! did you try sticky Turkish Ice-cream(Dondurma) yet??
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

Awesome photos. Thanks for posting.

I LOVE Turkey. I traveled around the country after the army, but since then I have been back to Istanbul a half-dozen times. I've walked crazy amounts of that city and consider it one of my favorite places. I can't wait to go back -- especially after seeing your photos.

k.

Edit: If you go to the Princess Islands by ferry, it has no cars and cats galore. It's pretty amazing -- sort of a cat paradise. Also, in the Muslim world cats are preferred (over dogs) from my understanding. Syria and Yemen were the same way. I think there is some Koranic verse where a dog sat on something of the Prophet Mohammed and he burned it, so they tend to think of dogs as dirty. I could be wrong, but that was what I was told.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

Very nice photo essay! Do you keep a blog of your travels, Mari?