Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: That which shall not be named

That which shall not be named

I'm curious about the stones that cannot be named from the site that cannot be named. Every attempt that I have made to search I get a flood of known fanboys and promoters. Can anyone point me to any honest reviews?

Has it gotten this far already?holy **** people's personal vendetta's are stupid.

Korin's combination stones are good for the money, dave or marks suehiro 1200k stone will put you knife in a good place. The "bricks" dish a lot and i"ve never reallly had a use for them.

Opinions are based upon how people sharpen, what they sharpen and what products they have used in the past. Best thing to do is pick up a stone and try it. Make the opinion yours.

Quote Originally Posted by tripleq View Post
    Opinions are based upon how people sharpen, what they sharpen and what products they have used in the past. Best thing to do is pick up a stone and try it. Make the opinion yours.
    I don't really need another stone right now, and I don't want to spend the cash just to try one. I'm just curious and would like to find a good honest review by someone other than the guys pushing the products.

it would seem as if the question is automatically set up to solicite a given response. Any positive opinion would automatically be deemed fanboyism and discredited. Hardly a way to reach a rational decision.

BTW, one only needs to lurk for awhile to learn that calling one set of enthusiasts fan boys is the pot calling the kettle black to the 10th degree.

Are you talking about Latte 400? If so, I have one, and I'm willing to give an honest review of it. However, it's the only coarse stone (by which I mean 400-600 grit range) that I've owned as I've only been sharpening knives for the past half year or so, and I can't really give you any comparison to other coarse stones. I'm considering doing a passaround to get other people's opinion, and if you're interested, I'd even be willing to temporarily swap this stone with you for another coarse stone so we both get some experience.

As of right now, my opinion of it is that it's decent. It cuts at an okay rate, but I wouldn't call it amazingly fast. It seems to dish pretty quickly though as I've gotten some noticeable dishing after an hour of sharpening a really dull German steel knife, but I've read that coarse stones tend to dish pretty quickly no matter what. I may also be using too much pressure on it.

the stones ive used/owned from both the bamboo and *** series are overpriced for what they are. they are priced pretty similar to gesshin and chosera and they arent half as good.

I've found that if a specific product question is posed, that responses are pretty unbiased (though they still are opinions). If question is linked to a vendor then responses may skew a little. Which stone is being considered?
    Dave
    Older and wider.

FWIW my experience is mainly with the low grit stones in kens line, the green 400 grit is one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by CompE View Post
    Every attempt that I have made to search I get a flood of known fanboys and promoters.
    Why do you think that is?
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/