Konosuke 240 white #2 vs Masamoto KS white#2

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bikeman

Reaction score
What are the differences between the Masamoto and Konosuke white #2 240's . I know the Masamoto is a tad heavier and longer . Other than the slight weight difference how do the two compare. Thanks Bill.

Konosuke has kind of a cult following but I know a ton of people who own and stand by their masamotos as well. I think they are both great knives by great makers and you generally can't go wrong with white #2 when it comes to sharpenability. I think I would buy the konosuke over the masamoto because I believe it would be more of a laser. And I prefer a laser gyuto over something with heft.

...I know the Masamoto is a tad heavier and longer...
That is the biggest difference between the two. The Masamoto is about 19mm longer and 17gms heavier with the Masamoto also being "slightly" thicker. Other than that they are more similar than different, both are excellent cutters. They are #1 and #2 in my kitchen, with the Masamoto with a slight lead only because I like it's size a little more.

For White #2 I'd probably go for a Sakai Yusuke or a Gesshin Ginga before the Konosuke or the Masamoto

The biggest difference between the two has got to be profile. The KS is flatter and the Konosuke has more belly. I would choose between these knives based on your cutting style. If you rockchop, the KS is probably not for you, if you exclusively push cut then it probably is.

The tip on the KS is lower the the konosuke and is more thin and pointy.

These comments are based on the stock konosuke, not the funayuki model, which has a flatter profile.

The KS comes with a d handle, the Konosuke usually with an octagonal handle.

Both will be easy to sharpenm have good toughness and ok edge holding.

The KS will tend to run long, closer to 250 mil and the Konosuke will run short: I measured one recently at 232 mil.

It's a preference of profile and grind. The Masamoto is flatter, longer, narrower, and thicker. I prefer the geometry on the Konosuke because I like the thinness near the heel, and I like a wider blade. It's personal preference.

Back