• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

JNats for sale - Ohira, Yaginoshima, Hideriyama

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinster

Reaction score
I'm looking to thin my jnat collection a little bit. The ones I'm listing below are redudant with other stones in my collection, either in performance or appearance. All are very lightly used -- less than 1mm lower than when I got them. I have attached a group picture with additional descriptions below. Please pm me if you have any questions or want additional pictures.
DSC_7279.JPG

1) Red Ohira (top row, #6). Bought from JNS. It's a good value stone. Kind of middle of the road in fineness and hardness. Not too fine, and not too hard. Good stone, I just have others that make this redundant. $320 shipped

2) Hideriyama (top row, #7). Bought from JNS. This is a fairly soft and muddy stone. Good for leaving a smooth even kasumi finish. $260 shipped

3) Yaginoshima Asagi (bottom row, #1) This stone would probably be a lv3.5 on the JNS scale. It's slightly harder than #1 above but seems to be a bit faster cutting. Not quite as fine as an atago, ozuku, or nakayama can be. The feel is smooth. No lines or inclusions on this stone. If using with double bevel knives, a nagura would help. $180 shipped.

4) Yaginoshima Suita (bottom row, #2) Bought from JNS. Very beautiful stone. The feel is smooth and it cuts fast. Double bevels would benefit from the use of a nagura. Price is $300 shipped.

5) Ohira Suita (Bottom row, #4) Bought from JNS . This is a really cool stone that I don't *really* want to sell, but I got a very similar full-sized stone. The feel is very smooth and it cuts very fast. The slurry from this stone is white -- not sure if that makes this a shiro suita. Stones this color are very rare. Price is $380 shipped.

Thanks for looking!

I assume you are counting from the left. glws

Yes! Ordering is from left to right.

Lovely collection - even if you sell a few off

Not to worry. I've gotten in some new pieces since this picture was taken. :D

I'm also open to offers, possibly for any of the stones in the picture... so if there's one that catches your eye, let's discuss!

None of the pictured are Nakayamas. The 7th stone on the bottom is a Shoubudani sunashi suita that the seller described as very similar to a Nakayama. It's a very fine fast cutting stone that is very smooth, but not quite as glassy smooth as my maruichi nakayama.

I really love that red ohira. If you still have it in a month or so let me know. Just can't afford it right now.

The hideri is now sold. Chuck -- I'll be in touch of the red ohira doesn't move.

Consternation your collection is so beautiful. I have been wanting a single natural stone for some time and only hope someday to have a collection as awesome as yours. Thanks for sharing your picks. If you have any that are of a lower price and are not used please let me know.

Well auto correct has changed vinster into consternation.
And i don't even know what the latter means.

I need something in the 3-6k range anything like that middle of the road

Red Ohira and the Ohira suita are sold. Sorry Chuck!

I still have the two yaginoshima stones left. Or if you feel strongly about anything else in the picture, pm me.

#3 (Yaginoshima asagi) is sold. The Yaginoshima suita stone is still available, or inquire about any of the others.

Back