Knife Bag/Roll

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baby Huey

Reaction score
I have tried searching for knife bags or rolls, and unless I am doing it wrong, very few threads popped up. If there is an old one then maybe this could represent any newer products that are being used.
First thing, I am not a professional. I am a heavy home user as I love to cook and have had this love for cooking since I was a small child. Because of this I am asked to cook at a lot of get togethers of family and friends. My question is which knife bags or rolls are best suited for Japanese knives. Some I have looked at in person and online seem too short for 270's or 300's. What are the pro's using to transport and protect their prize cargo?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Last edited:
I don't have a bag at the moment but the best one I've ever used by far was the Koobi Kit. The bag is robust and well designed. At last check they were available from Korin. I don't ever recall trying to carry anything as long as a 300mm knife in it so you might want to check dimensions first.

I use an Ultimate Edge bag, the koobi kits are basically the same size/shape design with slight adjustments. I had a friend who enjoyed his koobi kit, and I love the edge bags, will fit a 300 yanagi with a saya, depending on the handle length. You might not be able to put the handle into a 'slot' but the tip of the saya, as sometimes they will get caught up, that extra inch will probably be the difference between closing your bag and not. I also had a wusthof bag that could hold a 300 yanagi with saya, I would say most of the bags that don't roll are similar in size between Wusthof, Shun and global all make similar styles. My vote goes for the Ultimate Edge, it is strong and mine is filled with easily over 30lb of kit, not stressing the material yet.

i use a global roll, and to fit a 300mm suji with saya i had to unsew the end of the elastic handle pouch. i'm hahppy with it after 10 years use so i can recommend it.

I have a Dick case and I couldn't be happier with it, it looks as good now as it did when it was new and it hasn't worn at all. It holds a couple of Western 270s so I'd say it would hold a wa-300. I posted a few photos and thoughts when I got it here in the Working Knives thread.

Someone was telling me about how he just took a roll of nylon to a seamstress and had her make a knife roll based off his design. Apparently, he saved like 30 bucks by doing this instead of buying a knife bag with comparable features, and he was even able to customize everything like how tight he wanted the handle holding straps.

The global roll will fit 270 but not 300 a well made roll wt. quality pockets instead of those lose elastic things.I picked up a Boldric Black Leather bag holds quite a bit.Excellent quality through out.One of those purchases that turned out even better than I thought it would.Well worth the 250.00.Great looking bag too.

I appreciate all the ideas. Will look into them more.

I use the koobi kit and really enjoy it. It can fit my 300mm doi yanagiba with a saya, It's the length of the bag and just fits in when i zip it up. My favourtie thing about the koobi kit would be the straps inside of the pockets that hold the knives in place so they don't shift around when i am transporting them.

A more expensive, but fully custom, option is a leather knife roll from Steve Goodson. They are works of art, and he is a very nice guy to deal with.

Steve Goodson all the way, I have one and it is my daily driver. Best investment to drive my beauties around in.

[video=youtube;lsbIIQoJKCI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsbIIQoJKCI[/video]

thanks to rick i bought one for myself way back when. lol.

What Rick said. Like the OP, I'm an enthusiastic home cook who gets invited to "help" in friends kitchens and do some other playing with sharp things. I like the ultimate edge a lot when I'm taking a bunch of knives and stuff. Lot of room, some protection. No problem zipping up a 300 yani or 320 Gude.

When I'm going lite I've been taking the bag below. My "purse" is a Lands End tote ($20) that a seamstress put extra pockets in ($15). 5 pockets will hold 3 knives each, I usually use 2 or 3 for knives, 1 for tools, 1 for flashlight (I do live in Fl). I also can carry 2 small boards, recipes, a small first aid kit, thermos, bottled water, phone, etc. Easy access but no protection. I would not carry it on public trans or where theft might be a problem. But for most trips its become my bag of choice.

2013-09-14 00.35.59.jpg

2013-09-14 00.29.30.jpg

I have a Koobi bag. It's great when I need to be able to carry a lot of kit. I use it more for special events and offsite things where I need extra capacity in a convenient package. What I use in my day to day is the original Messermeister roll which I've had for years, but it's really more of a component in a larger kit. On it's own, it is a bit more compact in terms of physical space which is useful, although the 300mm wa I've been using of late really stretches it's capacity. I picked up a backpack a year or so ago after my old college backpack finally gave up the ghost and the Messermeister fits perfectly in the laptop compartment next to the ebags packing cube that I use to haul around my honing kit. I keep a variety of other incidental bits and pieces in the other compartments. It's kind of like my version of Batman's utility belt. I almost always have what I need, when I need it, and I have enough space in the backpack for other items, books, folders, files, and paperwork I may need on a given day. I do get a lot of "why does your backpack weigh so much" questions from my lovely lady but I've been able to fit pretty much everything I ever need for work into that backpack. I may eventually move on from the Messer bag, as it's starting to show it's age, but as long as I travel with it in a separate backpack, it seems to do what I need it to do. Besides, it's limited capacity really makes me travel lean in the blade department. I have all I typically need and rarely find myself in that "I wish I had ???? with me" mode.

I love works from good leather workers, but wondering if I should spend that kind of money or set the difference aside for another knife purchase lol. The Koobi kit is interesting, but really thinking about the ultimate edge as it does seem to have plenty of rooms in case I pick up other favorites to bring as well as other utensils I am partial to depending on the menu for the night.

Thanks for all the responses.

The 3 compartment Koobi bags look similar to the Ultimate edge.Nice color option.Esp. some people in this forum can be carrying over a grand easy in knives whatever bag using.Leather lasts forever,well almost.

a grand? some of these guys carry close to ten grand worth of knives to work daily. no exaggeration either.

:laugh: Depends on the day. I did actually sit down one night and started calculating. The number that was staring back at me was pretty surprising. That's when I decided to start paring down my day to day kit a bit.

Yeah but then Salty comes in and slaps one ******* knife down on the table and beats my whole kit! lol

The only issue I have with having a custom bag made for me at this time, is that my collection is growing. As I buy additional knives of different sizes and styles, the needs for spacing in a custom leather roll will change. I guess it would be different if I were a pro and had a set that pretty much was a standard even if I decided to upgrade a couple the dimensions would be pretty close. I am not at that point right now. Maybe in the future though as I did notice the area code of Steve's number means he is local for me and would be a fairly easy transaction.

I recently bought a leather roll because I was tired of replacing mine every 9-12 months.
I would stick with either the Koobi or Ultimate Edge unless you work in a pro environment full time. I have experience with almost every maker and these 2 are great. If you DO go leather, Steve Goodson is awesome and so is my friend on Etsy(the guy that made 2 bags for me) but don't buy a Messermeister leather case. They are crappy and the zippers and such are total junk, they won't last too long in a pro kitchen.

regarding salty's statement on global rolls,

you can if you unsew the first sewing down the pouch :)

migk.jpg

ukgu.jpg

unless they changed the design (i bought mine 10y ago)

I was up to about three grand earlier this year, and thought I was walking tall. Then Johnny comes by my place last spring and lets me rifle through his kits... That is when I truly learned the meaning of knife envy. I still want that damn Rader scimitar.

Wow I guess all those customs can really raise the $.I would carry couple Yanagi's,all my blades Japanese origin,in a global roll my max around 1,700.

Went ahead and ordered the Ultimate Edge Deluxe in Orange figured the orange would make it easier to spot for me and harder to forget at get togethers.
Thanks for all the advice.

Back