Quantcast
Murray Carter at Phoenix Knife House
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Murray Carter at Phoenix Knife House

Murray Carter at Phoenix Knife House

I noticed this just sprung up on another board and boy I wish I could go!

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bel...generation.php

Anyone in Phoenix able to attend and give us a rundown??

I can go. I'll see about summarizing things here after.
    I try to be the man I am..in times of broken lives. Shattered dreams and plans..standing up to fight. Pressures and demands..staring at the knife. Holding in your hands..

Murray's the man. I'm jealous.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Murray's the man. I'm jealous.
    I've got some things I'd like to have him take a look at anyway lol.
    I try to be the man I am..in times of broken lives. Shattered dreams and plans..standing up to fight. Pressures and demands..staring at the knife. Holding in your hands..

Super jealous! Thanks for offering to give a summary!

(and you said pictures, too, right? )

Quote Originally Posted by cheezit View Post
    Super jealous! Thanks for offering to give a summary!

(and you said pictures, too, right? )
    Lol, I'll see what I can do .

I'm thinking about ditching class that day and driving up.

That's the spirit!
    09/06

I bet the place is going to be a mad house. I can just see Murray now, in all his gloat and glory, talking about his passion. I suspect there will a fairly deep level of discussion, given it at a knife shop. Hope someone on the forum goes and reports back.
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

The thing with Murray is, while some see him as arrogant, I see him as realistic and confident. He's short and to the point, and very "military" in how he converses with others. He will tell you everything you need to know about a product, or a technique, ask questions that have answers that lead back to his topic, and continue talking directly about that specific thing. He's a teacher, of sorts, a businessman, and most importantly to him on a professional level - a knifemaker. While he might remind you of how difficult or exact something he does really is, he does so partly to make you appreciate his craft and product. I'm cool with it.

While I'm slightly biased, perhaps, I will say this: he sent me a nice email last month congratulating me on getting through a year in this "business", and for starting up my saya (and other stuff) "brand". We've discussed Devin Thomas' knives, among other things, and he basically had to say that Devin is a class-act with beautiful skills. Not that I was fishing, but I honestly don't think a negative thought crossed his mind when it came to DT's work. He notices what others are doing and uses it as even more reason to keep making knives that flat out perform. In Murray's mind, as long as he makes a great product, people will keep buying them. If you ask me, he's right on the money with that one.

Unlike with Pierre, I've never sworn or talked about how the Leafs are going to kick the Habs' asses this year (sorry, Pierre). He's not a friend (though it wouldn't be a bad thing to call him one), like Pierre is, but I still respect the crap out of him.
    09/06