Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell Me About Pens

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar

Tell Me About Pens

I've always had a fascination with pens. While fountain pens are beyond my investment level (time), I do like a good rollerball. I've bought a few nice ones from Etsy, but I've always lusted after a MonteBlanc. Research tells me they are overpriced and there are better options. What say you?

FWIW, here is what i'm thinking about getting: http://www.amazon.com/MontBlanc-Meis...I325J94RM4NAME
    Jason

I got a very nice Cross pen from a teacher as a graduation present and I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by pumbaa View Post
    I got a very nice Cross pen from a teacher as a graduation present and I love it.
    I used to love Cross pens, and still do! I like a fat cigar type pen these days though, so the Cross is out.
    Jason

The only other 1 I know is S.T. Dupont and then of course M. Blanc. I like using different brands thats why I would look at maybe someone making you a pen one of the wood working guys here. There was a guy on the Impreza forum that made pens and they were crazy nice I will see if I can find it.

http://www.silverlakewoodworks.com/ this is him, looks like he only does custom

Like I said, i've ordered quite a few pens on Etsy, that were all handmade and wood burl.
    Jason

I had a couple Waterman's in a previous life. I did not "collect" them but liked having a nice pen. May need another one day.
    Dave
    Older and wider.

Check out Rudy Vey (the guy famous for making shaving brushes). He can set you up with a very nice custom rollerball at a great price. His craftsmanship is a cut above as is his professionalism. Mont Blanc is overpriced in my opinion and I find them a little dated. They do write nice though.

I love my Monte Blanc, but I did get it free from work.....I doubt I would pay $300 plus for a knife on my own

Pelikan! Pelikan! Pelikan!

Very underrated, very understated, nicely retro (although that's an incorrect word for it because it's always been designed like that, it's not a re-look at something from the past).

Perfect nibs, especially the Oblique. Makes you feel like a calligrapher even if you have, like me, bad handwriting!

I've used Pelikan from 1958 (!) and I'm onto my third one now for the past 13 years. Only weak point is the piston ink mechanism - you have to work the turnscrew gently.

There's quite a range from wanky ostentatious (every brand wants a share of the "branded" luxury market unfortunately) to simple classics which are very affordable. Have a look at the simple classic marbled ones and (my favourite) the functionally elegant Souveran line - drop dead gorgeous and a pleasure to use.