Media Some Fish Fabrication

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Citizen Snips

Founding Member
Reaction score
Here are a few (crappy phone pics) of some fish I was working with the other day.

the first 3 are some monkfish, the second 2 is wreckfish, and the last 2 are cobia. enjoy!!

IMG_20110525_111715.jpg

IMG_20110525_111724.jpg

IMG_20110525_111606.jpg

IMG_20110525_104658.jpg

IMG_20110525_104612.jpg

IMG_20110429_132808.jpg

IMG_20110429_132827.jpg

It amazes me that something as ugly as a monkfish can be so doggone tasty!

Hey we don't get monkfish with the head attached here in Singapore. That's the first time I've seen one with the head.

because the only thing usable on the monkfish is in the tail, some fishers will just cut the head off and throw it back in the water. the thing sure is ugly and didn't make the best fish fumet but it was still fun. that wreckfish was no looker either

Yeah I agree on both the looks and the fumet. We usually chuck the trimmings into our stuff meals lol. Have not seen either of the last 2 fishes before. How's the texture and taste of the flesh?

[video=youtube;fooxa0ltWwE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=US&v=fooxa0ltWwE[/video]

It amazes me that something as ugly as a monkfish can be so doggone tasty!

Really all three of those fish don't have anything to write home about when it comes to the looks department.

Nice pics and video. I am a bit afraid that Morimoto will use all the gunk he cut off the fish for some kind of meal... I had the liver but wasn't crazy about it even though I go miles for foie gras, but monkfish cheeks are excellent.

Stefan

Nice pics and video. I am a bit afraid that Morimoto will use all the gunk he cut off the fish for some kind of meal... I had the liver but wasn't crazy about it even though I go miles for foie gras, but monkfish cheeks are excellent.

Stefan

Yes he does.

[video=youtube;i0YxvhUtYVU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0YxvhUtYVU[/video]

Nice pics, Heres a cobia and flounder i got in a couple weeks ago. Is the wreckfish any good raw?
24139010100402060798782.jpg

24276410100402058248892.jpg

the wreckfish was not bad raw although i didn't try it with rice. i just took thin slices and ate it crudo style with a little korean chile flakes, soy sauce, mirin, and miso. pan seared the flavor is mild and delicious. i liked the fish but it is a pain to break down.

that flounder is beautiful. im gonna try to get a few of those next week. what deba is that btw?

Yeah, that flounder was definitely one of the best ones I've seen in a while... seemed like it was fished out hours before. The deba is a 210 yoshihiro kasumi with an upgraded yew wood handle. What about yours? Mioroshi? Did you have to hang that monkfish up to break it down?

They're not kidding when they call monkfish the poor man's lobster. It's liver is great, too.

mine is a konosuke mioroshi 210mm blue 2 deba with its brother, konosuke yanagiba 300mm white 2. i have put that mioroshi through hell and it does great. im constantly thinking of getting an inexpensive 210mm deba.

there is a shadow so i cannot tell if you HD is a suji or gyuto but they have another 270mm HD brother. all the same ebony handle with blonde horn.

i didn't have to put it up on a hook because it wasn't too big. i was able to save some fun stuff in it but for the most part it became fume. its a smaller monkfish and i dont have any hooks anyway :D

I think I'm going to get a wreck fish in this weekend :)Maybe I'll get a monkfish in to mess around with it. Although I do go and order just the liver time to time.
ankimo.jpg

I haven't had a chance to taste the liver of the monkfish before.. Can any kinda describe the texture, taste, the cooking method most commonly used and if it is best served warm/cold? I'm thinking if it can be used in an appetizer..

Hmm, texture wise it's smooth, creamy, and somewhat firm. It isn't overly fishy. Basically when you get the liver you have to soak it in saltwater for 15-20 minutes, remove any blood vessels and parasites, wash again, soak in sake for 20 minutes. After that, form into a cylinder shape and steam for about 20 minutes. It's usually served cold. I'm sure there are many more ways to prepare and serve it though.

Hmm I was thinking floured and deep fried lol!! The sake soaking is to remove any lingering fishy smell or for flavour?

the sake will also kill any excess bacteria

i do something similar to fish livers as i do with the roe sacks (when we get them). i soak them in saltwater for 24 hours then pull them out and pat them dry. i will then salt them to pull out as much of the remaining liquid as possible before the soak in sake or vodka for about 2 hours. then i make a marinade of water, sake (or vodka again), salt, sugar, korean pepper flakes, rice wine vinegar, yuzu, mirin, kombu, and bonito flakes. first cook off alcohol then add remaining ingredients and bring back to boil. remove and let cool under refrigeration. strain it over your liver or roe sacks and let sit for 2 or 3 days for liver and 1 week for roe sacks.

from there you could do any number of things to the liver. for the roe just open the sacs and reserve the eggs.

the sake will also kill any excess bacteria

i do something similar to fish livers as i do with the roe sacks (when we get them). i soak them in saltwater for 24 hours then pull them out and pat them dry. i will then salt them to pull out as much of the remaining liquid as possible before the soak in sake or vodka for about 2 hours. then i make a marinade of water, sake (or vodka again), salt, sugar, korean pepper flakes, rice wine vinegar, yuzu, mirin, kombu, and bonito flakes. first cook off alcohol then add remaining ingredients and bring back to boil. remove and let cool under refrigeration. strain it over your liver or roe sacks and let sit for 2 or 3 days for liver and 1 week for roe sacks.

from there you could do any number of things to the liver. for the roe just open the sacs and reserve the eggs.

maybe I'd try that with the whole red snappers that are coming in Monday. We usually soak the liver and roe in milk, den dregged in seasoned corn flour and deep fried to add texture to salads or even our own staff meals lol..

just remember it takes some time. i prefer this method if you are not going to fry them. i personally think that the liver and roe are way to delicate to fry and should be enjoyed in a way that preserves the integrity and freshness of the product.

i'm getting excited lol... can't wait for monday!!!

Back