Filet knife flex video

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PierreRodrigue

Reaction score
Here is a video showing the flex of this knife. As mentioned in my other thread, the flex is a result of the grind. It is the same HT I use on a regular gyuto or suji made from CPM S35VN.

I thought I would add this so you could clearly see, that even after a drastic bend, it comes back straight and true.

[video=youtube;KwZjTD5XZTM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwZjTD5XZTM[/video]

Um, that's just crazy to me. And it scares the Crap out of me. A gentleman at the Ren fest last year was doing the same with one of his swords showing me how much flex it had when it suddenly exploded. Blade shrapnel went flying everywhere. I uselessly dived to the ground and with luck a piece only smacked me on my back. But the bladesmith was not as lucky and had to be rushed off. I felt terrible, and very thirsty for another beer at the same time.

wow, that's amazing! I guess it's with single steel but can't believe you say it's from the grind.
how's that so? You don't have to do anything in HT to make the blade bendable like that?
If you don't mind, would you elaborate a little more. I just like to learn.
I tried to understand what makes steel springy not long ago but I could not find a clear answer.
Maybe you can shed some light on my quest for the answer.

Great work Pierre - that's way more flexible than my old Rapala could hope to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back