Quantcast
Baking Steel for Pizza
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Baking Steel for Pizza

Baking Steel for Pizza

Modernist cuisine has gotten a lot of people interested in using 1/4 to 1/3 A36 carbon steel plates for cooking pizza. (Some people even claim it makes big green egg pizza even better though that is hard to believe :- ) )

A company now sells this "baking steel" although it wouldn't be too hard to wander down to a local metal store and pick up a sheet of what is, after all, ordinary structural steel, I suspect for a lot less.

Anyone try this??

I haven't, but I have retrofit domestic ovens to increase thermal mass which helps a lot with pizza. Last night I made some frankly pretty good pizza buy pre-heating my thickest cast iron pan and cooking on that - same principle.

Yep, Lodge in fact makes a cast iron pan that works pretty darn well

but the claim for the baking steel is that A36 steel transfers heat better than cast iron so works even better...

I have used the baking steel, and it works. Since you're in the Bay Area, you can borrow mine if you want to try.

For the price, I'm going to stick with my Lodge pizza pan for now. Heat capacities are very similar but the thermal conductivity of cast iron is better. (didn't look much into the TC due to time... different cast irons can seem to vary here) Depending on the cast iron, it can be up to 15% less dense than A53.

That being said, the lodge unit isn't very thick so it doesn't hold as much heat as the thicker steel plates you can get.

Good comparison: http://slice.seriouseats.com/archive...tml?ref=search

So here is my crazy idea of the day get 4 8x8 1/2 plates with smooth sides and use those. that way I get the thermal mass I want but the plates weigh about 8 pounds each instead of 30+
    Welcome peoples thoughts on this idea

I'm going to pick up the 3/8 version some time, I think. I'm not sure my oven racks will support the big one.

I've been using a piece of 1/4 in sheet of carbon steel for about a year now. Before that i used a baking stone and or a large lodge skillet. The carbon steel plate is in another league altogether.

It releases heat very quickly and will be ripping hot to the touch two hours after the oven has been turned off. I heat the oven for 30 minutes at 550. The plate will usually be between 650 to 630 degrees. Will cook a neopolitan pizza in under two minutes

Name:  photo[1].jpg
Views: 22
Size:  12.6 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    I'm going to pick up the 3/8 version some time, I think. I'm not sure my oven racks will support the big one.
    Why not use the floor of the oven?

Quote Originally Posted by Mucho Bocho View Post
    I've been using a piece of 1/4 in sheet of carbon steel for about a year now. Before that i used a baking stone and or a large lodge skillet. The carbon steel plate is in another league altogether.

It releases heat very quickly and will be ripping hot to the touch two hours after the oven has been turned off. I heat the oven for 30 minutes at 550. The plate will usually be between 650 to 630 degrees. Will cook a neopolitan pizza in under two minutes
    I know you already told me once, but I can't remember....Where did you source your plate?
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Danny, I bought it locally at an Ironworks company. He only charged me $50 for a 19" X 12" X 1/4. They grinded any rust and deburred the edges. I would estimate it weighs about 30--35lbs.
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.