Quantcast
Baking Steel for Pizza - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Baking Steel for Pizza

Marko, Sure you could make a round plate. I wanted rectangular because its more forgiving when you're sliding pizza's off the peel.
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

on a second thought, I think you are right, as rectangular gives more surface.

What peel are you using? Any preferences on what wood the peel is made of?

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Marko, I'm a wood peel (cheap pine) kinda guy. I like to be able to sand them to make them smooth.

gic, I know that so many time in life a little must be good so over kill must be even better--right. Not always. Their is no real advantage to getting a plate thicker than 1/4 inch. It will only take longer to heat (specific heat over time), heavier to move and more expensive. Just becuase its thicker doesn't mean its going to perform any better?

I heat my oven on convection to 550 for 30 minutes w/ infrared thermo. temp gets between 650 and 630. Like Mike Lee said, I cook my pizza's in the top third of the oven. Before I put the pizza in, I shut off convection. Also, I don't do the broilier thing, and with the thickness of my pizzas (very very thin), even with generous topings, they cook in about 2 minutes.

3/8" thick might be an alternative for those who are dead-set on the heavier one. It will add 50% to the weight of 1/4" thick, so 14x16" will be approximately 22lb, 15.75x18" ~ 30LB. I think the rack should handle the weight fine, as long as you keep it static with the plate on and load your pizza with a peel. Pulling it out to load or remove the pizza might put a strain on it.

The advantage of a thicker plate is that it will keep the temperate better once it got up to the temperature. I don't think it will make that much of a difference over 1/4, but even a small difference is a difference nevertheless. Thicker stock is also less prone to warping.

I have seen adler used for wood peels. Any other species?

M

I have the 1/2" Baking Steel and should have gotten a thinner one. At 30#s, it's quite unwieldy getting in and out of the oven. However, I'm happy with the performance.

Don, Sounds like you got the Work Horse steel plate. If thats the case, I guess you could call my Steel Plate a LASER ;-)

Works for me cause thats exactly how I like my knives. Thin, nimble but perform like a mofo.

Quote Originally Posted by don View Post
    I have the 1/2" Baking Steel and should have gotten a thinner one. At 30#s, it's quite unwieldy getting in and out of the oven. However, I'm happy with the performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mucho Bocho View Post
    Don, Sounds like you got the Work Horse steel plate. If thats the case, I guess you could call my Steel Plate a LASER ;-)

Works for me cause thats exactly how I like my knives. Thin, nimble but perform like a mofo.
    Can you observe any warpage from all this time you have been using it?

Lol. I thought I needed a workhorse steel, but a laser would indeed have been more fitting. In knives, I also gravitate towards thinner knives.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    No warpage that I can discern, and my steel lives in the oven. I routinely bake bread so the steel sees 500 degrees at least once a week. Have had the baking steel since end of January.

Marko, Warpage? The thing is a 1/4 thick X 19 X 14. Its a bohemith, plus my oven only goes to 550 degree. Its flat, flat, flat. I'm going to take some pics tonight. this post need more pics.

As of note, I do remove the plate when I'm using the oven unless I'm cooking something long and slow, which I never do anymore cause I'm into sous Vide now. I realise that it increases the thermal mass of the oven but it like I said earlier, takes days to cool the plate down.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post

+ Reply to Thread