Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comfort/winter foods with lean meat?

Comfort/winter foods with lean meat?

I recently moved in with friends and am grappling with new parameters for the kitchen. it's the time of year for pot roasts, chili, mac-n-cheese, etc. However, my host needs a diet low in saturated fats and salt if he is to avoid another "cardiac event."

I'm not terribly familiar with lean meat in general, but it seems esp difficult for these kinds of dishes as IME lean meats need short cooking times at high temps.

Anybody dealt with this before? Have any ideas?

I'm in the DFW area, so I can source some game (not sure yet what)--which is new for me-- and have access to amazing quality seafood flown in fresh daily...if that helps.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

I have substituted ground Turkey for beef, have been cooking my bolognaise and chili with it with good results , it may be an alternative you can consider

Quote Originally Posted by chefcomesback View Post
    I have substituted ground Turkey for beef, have been cooking my bolognaise and chili with it with good results , it may be an alternative you can consider
    Other than cost, why wouldn't I just ground/chipped/cubed Tenderloin? (I avoid ground meat whenever possible...unless I grind it myself.)
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

For me I am trying to eat less red meat , that's the reason

Ground elk venison, buffalo, goat, and/or bison same texture as beef very low in cholesterol and sat fats.

Now everybody loves breakfast sausage but the morning star brand frozen patties are pretty good with eggs.

London broil/ top round or eye roast.

Marinated steaks seared fast
    Eye round sliced thin stuffed with duxelles

Eye round cut thicker, pounded, stuffed with Parma, green apple and some crumb, tie. Brown in casserole pan, move. In pan make simple tomato sauce, return to pan, parchment cover, cook oven 350 for 40 min
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

When I think of comfort/winter food, I tend to think of slow braises and pot roasts. I chill them after cooking and remove the fat before reheating the next day. We lived off venison stews and soups with barley for a couple winters up in northern Vermont. Most people we served thought it was local beef. Who were we to spoil it for them.

I am by no means a chef as I am just a home cook who really enjoys it. With that said, venison makes great chili! Also, like Mrmnms states a slow cook of roasts makes the fat very easy to skim off the day after cooking and the flavors meld together (tastes better) the next day anyways

I also do sub ground turkey a lot but packaged is very high in sodium or at least the options I have available are so if you can grind your own lean cuts that is probably better when "cardiac" issues are a concern

Jeff

I'll second eye of round.

You might try goulash, that works best with the leanest and toughest (but also most flavourful) cuts. Or Tafelspitz, a famous Austrian dish made from beef. I'm sure there are recipes on English language reicep sites.

I happen to have one goulash recipe on my computer:

Viennese Goulash

1kg beef (or pork, venison, lamb - whatever you want)
    1kg onions
    4 cloves of garlic
    1 tsp. caraway
    1 tbsp. marjoram
    4 tbsp. paprika powder
    1 tbsp. vinegar
    1 tsp. tomato paste
    stock
    butter / oil
    salt
    pepper

Cut meat into large cubes cubes (like, one cube=two bites). Sear cubes in a hot skillet or your pot.
    Dice the onions as finely as possible. Roast them to a dark brown color, but don't let them get burned.
    Add caraway, marjoram, paprika powder, tomato paste, vinegar and the garlic (either diced or pureed, however you like).

Stir it, let the tomato paste and paprika unfold their full taste. Add browned, diced meat and stock until everything is just covered (you can add more later, if needed).

Let it simmer for at least 1h, 2-3h are preferred to get the meat really tender.

Serve just the goulash, or with some rice, white bread or some bread dumplings.