Quantcast
Goat - it's what's for dinner.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Goat - it's what's for dinner.

Goat - it's what's for dinner.

I have a halal goat shoulder (cut up by butcher) braising in the oven with thyme, rosemary, pepper, a little sea salt, olive oil, onion, sweet red pepper and a little chianti rufina.

Anybody ever work with it before?

That is one thing I have never been able to enjoy the taste of. that and wild boar, yellow mustard, sea cucumbers, whale blubber, fermented fish paste and goat cheese.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

I love goat. I've never made a whole shoulder. I also love wild boar, yellow mustard, sea cucumber, fermented fish pate and goat cheese. Never had whale blubber.

I share in the yellow mustard hatred. And clam jerky. Sorry, don't mean to derail the thread....

Nope, but am I late for supper? Sounds really good actually. I have no idea what chianti rufina is, but I use the same herbs when doing venison in the crock, with the addition of garlic cloves.

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    That is one thing I have never been able to enjoy the taste of. that and wild boar, yellow mustard, sea cucumbers, whale blubber, fermented fish paste and goat cheese.
    I find that goat is not as gamey as compared to lamb. It could be where it is raised at, this was raised in Indiana. Actually very mild. Now goat milk I cannot even be in the same room with it.

most of the goat I have had has been from small ranches in the back country of Mexico. I ate it because, it was made special for me and that's what you do,lol. God knows what those little buggers ate.( actually, I know what they ate and most of the guys here would rather smoke it than eat it.lol)
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

goat on a spit with tamarind leaves, lemon grass, salt and pepper. you'd be pretty much all good with that.

not that it's easy to get tamarind leaves just anywhere.

I've found that age make a big difference with goat. Younger, pinker goat is more tender and less gamey.

Quote Originally Posted by bear1889 View Post
    I find that goat is not as gamey as compared to lamb. It could be where it is raised at, this was raised in Indiana. Actually very mild. Now goat milk I cannot even be in the same room with it.
    +1 on the lamb.

Ive
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

I've never had it, but am thinning the cookbook herd and just came across this recipe:

1 young goat
    cumin seeds
    chili powder
    salt
    black pepper
    lard

Dress the goat carefully. If hair gets in contact with the meat, it imparts an unpleasant flavor. Combine all of the seasonings or sprinkle separately over the goat. Cover the entire goat with lard. Wrap & cover with a clean white sack & then wrap in a burlap bag. Place in a pit where fire has been burning for several hours. Lay the prepared goat in a layer of ashes over hot coals, cover with dirt & leave all night.

(I think this cookbook is a keeper!)
    Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller