First knife: Kai Shun DM-0717 Santoku or Masakage kumo 165cm santoku

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimolibob

Reaction score
Dear all,

In the process of deciding on a new knife and have, for now at least, narrowed it down to two. The Kai Shun DM-0717 Santoku or Masakage kumo 165cm santoku.
Now I've held a couple of chef's knives in the Kai Shun range at Peter Maturi (UK kitchenware shop) and was amazed at the feel and balance, having never bought quality knives before.

Basically what I'm asking is, would anyone recommend either of these two and also feel free to tell me to look at something else if you think it would be appropriate.

Many thanks,

James

Hmm. I think if you explain a little more what you're after it would help a lot. I'd recommend filling out the questionnaire which is a sticky in this forum. But basically I think you could do better than those. Another thing is that approximately 99% of knife shops in the UK are absolute bandits. For example, that Shun knife you listed, you could probably get it shipped from the US and still get it cheaper than that Peter Maturi place. So basically a little more info would help

Hi James,

Both are somewhat overpriced for stainless clad VG-10 steel, especially if you buying them in the UK.

If you fill out the questionnaire here the members here will be better placed to make suggestions.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/s...hich-Knife-Should-I-Buy-quot-Questionnaire-v2

Since you are in the UK I would suggest that you consider ordering from Japan, e.g. japanesechefsknife.com - they ship to the UK very fast, and are much cheaper than the UK webshops, which, with a couple of exceptions, are significantly overpriced.

I don't know what kind of tax you are going to be charget when importing from outside the EU so I suggest you check that out to start with. I'm from Denmark, and we are taxed very hard when importing. So for me it is far cheaper to buy within the EU when you include tax and shipping. If you do not decide to import from the US or Japan, you should check out this site: cuttingedgeknives.co.uk for Masakage knives. I own three Masakage knives (Yuki and Koishi) and they are very good knives. The Masakage knives are far superiour to Shun knives as far as I know.
- Kim

I don't know what kind of tax you are going to be charget when importing from outside the EU so I suggest you check that out to start with. I'm from Denmark, and we are taxed very hard when importing. So for me it is far cheaper to buy within the EU when you include tax and shipping. If you do not decide to import from the US or Japan, you should check out this site: cuttingedgeknives.co.uk for Masakage knives. I own three Masakage knives (Yuki and Koishi) and they are very good knives. The Masakage knives are far superiour to Shun knives as far as I know.
- Kim

I believe that is why others have recommended japanesechefsknife.com Shipping is $7 and they often undervalue the knife for customs purposes. On another note, are you sure that 165 will be enough knife? I've owned a few quality knives in that length and it is a very limiting experience unless you only have a very small working area.

Cheers

Don´t get me wrong like I´m trying to get into an argument with you, chinacats. But, when taxed like in Denmark for importing from outside the EU, shipping plays a minor part of the matter. Customs are going to "sodomise you" anyway. I once bought two knives from JCK and payed about 300 $ for the knives and 150 $ in taxes.

I've bought a few knives from JCK. You'd have to be unlucky. The site you linked is certainly one of the better UK ones, price for the Masakages is not unreasonable. Would echo the wisdom of going with a slightly longer blade, e.g. 180mm if you are set on a Santoku.

hello here!

first i know nothing about Denmark customs, but here in france you get tax spanked once in a while. thats why at JCK they declare "kitchen tool" or "sample". i got lucky, no customs on 12 knives during 10 years.

but regarding the price range... you can get way better than kai shun. if what you like is damascus VG 10 i'd recommend choosing in the hattori HD line (unless you hate western handles). it will still be industrial damascus, but the knife will be almost flawless F&F and as (vg10) steel is all about tempering you will have fine heat treated one. answers above are right too.

gekko are fine too for the price.

in the end, shun just arent good value for money. i'd recommend choosing something else.

As a rule I will not purchase KAI Knives and recommend to all my friends that they also do the same.

Back