• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

FS 240mm Fowler Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdm_magic

Reaction score
I'm looking to sell this Fowler to fund some other stuff. I got it from a member here.

It's a western handle, made of ironwood. Made from W2, patina has been removed and it is slightly scratched up. This thing gets the sharpest out of any of the knives I've used, but I find the profile too flat for me. Other than the profile I really like the knife though.

As close as I can measure, its 239mm on the edge, 48mm tall, 3mm thick where you'd grip it. All those are taken with a normal ruler, so they are just a rough guideline.

Comes with a leather saya in good condition, although it has a nick on the fastening strap where the knife has cut it. The strap still works perfectly and is in no danger of breaking or whatever.

Looking for 330$, OBO, I'll go halves on shipping to US and Europe and eat PP fees. In UK I'll cover the shipping fees.

4nCtZ0a.jpg

qilAHQL.jpg

PM9RvuL.jpg

CIkqfgq.jpg

Cool! looks like a giant funa. This is a smokin' deal.
IMO Fowler is probably the best value in hand-forged US knives. He does a really excellent job with that W2. I've heard it compared to hitachi white as they are both low alloy, hi-carbon steels, but Fowler's matches or surpasses any white steel's I've used.

Is there a hamon hiding under that patina?

I believe there is a hamon, i can see something anyway, although I'm not totally sure. I don't know how to bring it out either, but if someone can give me directions I can give it a go.

Crap. I'm in live with a Marko, or else I'd make this happen.

I believe there is a hamon, i can see something anyway, although I'm not totally sure. I don't know how to bring it out either, but if someone can give me directions I can give it a go.

First I'd suggest cleaning the blade with some Barkeeper's Friend and Windex. Just spritz the blade with Windex and rub the Barkeeper's Friend in with your fingers. Once that's done, dip it in white vinegar until it turns black. Spray it down with Windex to neutralize the vinegar, then rub the black off with the Barkeeper's Friend again. If there's something there, you should start seeing it at that point.

If you don't like the finish that leaves, but want to show the hamon...you can repeat the process 3-5 more times...then rub the blade down with 1000-2000 grit wet or dry sandpaper. That should leave it polished, but with a white ghostly visible hamon.

I'm not 100% sure, but after some googling it looks to be the same knife.

This ones SPF too

Back