Quantcast
WIP: First Attempt at Forging a Knife - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WIP: First Attempt at Forging a Knife

Quote Originally Posted by CrisAnderson27 View Post
    Sure thing! The offer stands...whenever you need it .

If you'd like, I'd be glad to help you with the heat treat...even with that steel, freezing brine with some dawn in it will give you the best results. Also, do yourself a favor and skip the 'bright red'. Use a magnet...and when the steel will no longer stick to the magnet, heat it a tiny bit more, then quench.
    Thanks for the advice. So, heat to non-magnetic and then some, quench in cold brine with some dish soap.

Quote Originally Posted by GlassEye View Post
    Thanks for the advice. So, heat to non-magnetic and then some, quench in cold brine with some dish soap.
    No worries, glad to help .

Yes, non-magnetic plus a tiny bit (basically ensure the entire blade won't stick...then look for the next tiny shade of color...should take a couple seconds or so). Quench in ice water that you've added some dawn to...as well as salt to until it won't dissolve anymore. IF there's carbon in it...that'll do the trick. Check for hardness with a file. Also...as he said, you shouldn't need to temper it.
    I try to be the man I am..in times of broken lives. Shattered dreams and plans..standing up to fight. Pressures and demands..staring at the knife. Holding in your hands..

A tip for forging the tip in round bar. Forge a square sided point on the end, knock the corners off, forge to round. Then set your heel and choil and draw the taper into the tip. You will need to refine the tip shape as you go. Forging temperature in general, bright yellow, around 1150 degrees c. Try not to forge below a yellow heat unless you are surface finishing. Or it is needlessly hard work.
    Blacksmith school most used phrase, "Get it hot"
    You should refine the grain after forging however. Can be done in your pre-heat treatment by normalizing. Heat to non-magnetic 3 times checking straightness and air cooling.

Quote Originally Posted by WillC View Post
    A tip for forging the tip in round bar. Forge a square sided point on the end, knock the corners off, forge to round. Then set your heel and choil and draw the taper into the tip. You will need to refine the tip shape as you go. Forging temperature in general, bright yellow, around 1150 degrees c. Try not to forge below a yellow heat unless you are surface finishing. Or it is needlessly hard work.
    Blacksmith school most used phrase, "Get it hot"
    You should refine the grain after forging however. Can be done in your pre-heat treatment by normalizing. Heat to non-magnetic 3 times checking straightness and air cooling.
    Thanks for the tips.

Todays update:
    Did some grinding. Asymmetric right hand grind, single-bevel style right face with slightly convex(I was trying for flat) left face. I feel I should mention that I am doing all of the grinding on a 3400rpm bench grinder, as that is all I have to do the job. I will try to work on stones (and maybe files) only after the HT because this grinder would probably kill it pretty quickly.

Finished grinding for today. I will probably clean it up some before attempting to normalize and HT this unknown steel from the yard.

The tip was left thicker for now.

Thanks for all of the advice everyone.

A couple of updates.

I clamped a file to my stone holder and cut in the geometry. It is now flat on the left face and single-bevel style grind on the right face. I left the tip mostly unground still so it is not too thin during HT.

Sanded today to 220 grit on the back and table, the file left some deep scratches which I am just going to leave there, it's character.

I'm impressed. Good work!
    'The only real security that a man can have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability.' -Henry Ford

That looks really cool! Throw me in the impressed column.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Wow, that shined up nice. People sell things that look way worse for ridiculous amounts (see ugliest knife ever thread).

Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

+ Reply to Thread