bought a another old knife..Sabatier Trompette.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomchakabowwow

Reaction score
let me try this post again..sorry for hyjacking that other one. opps.

found it in a knife shop in Portland OR. it stood out amongt the other blades.

10" Sab Trompette. got it for $40. it is super sharp (now)

but i did find in the light of my kitchen, the tip is slightly warped..like somebody tried to pry something. it is tiny and very gradual.

also the edge is worn a tad. if i hold the edge on a flat surface of a cutting board, i cann tell someone sharpened it more in the middle..it lets in a tiny hair thin light. barely.

leave it alone? let a pro reshape it? what about the tip? here it is with my other old knife. the new sabatier is way flexier, and cuts super nimble. my wife likes it alot more. it is a tad longer, but much lighter. i have a bald spot on my arm now. all i used was a Sharpmaker.

If this were my knife, I wouldn't fix the issues with it right away. To me this would be needlessly taking off life from an already well-used knife. I wouldn't worry too much about the center as long as every time I sharpened the knife I tried to make it better each time (not perfect). As for the tip, it should be relatively easy to re-establish it yourself if you have some skills on a stone. Being in the San Francisco area you probably have a lot of professional options to take it to, one off the top of my head is Bernal Cutlery.

As far as the gradual bend in the knife goes its pretty common in the old sabs. Don't think I've seen a straight one yet. Nice find though. My vintage carbon sabs are still some of my favorite knives. Very easy to keep an edge alive with light steeling or I've found the harder of my jnats does an amazing job of re aligning/ honing an edge.

Great findings!
Not so sure about the first from above, but the second one is a Gustav Emil Ern, one of Germany's best blades. The name Trompette, originally from Jean Auguste Sabatier, at the end of the 19th century, has been used and abused by others. So, I'm not so sure who actually made the first one. It isn't that important. Looks like a more than decent carbon.
Both are what the French call Canadians, meant for the North-American market. No ferrule, just a finger guard. 50's probably.
Verify the profile. See if the entire edge does actually touch the board. Sometimes - rather frequently I should say - you will find a reverse belly due to oversteeling. Have a look at the heel. Quite often the finger guard pops up.
The nasty part is in reduring the fingerguard to level with a relief bevel.
All issues can easily been corrected with coarse sandpaper, with a more or less hard backing.
After that, a lot of thinning will be needed.
I would try to establish a relief bevel at some 10 degree per side, and a final edge at 15, and see if it works.
Don't be afraid.

Back