Quantcast
"Thinning behind the edge"?
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: "Thinning behind the edge"?

"Thinning behind the edge"?

A phrase I've been hearing a lot lately. To be honest I'm confused?

It may seem like an obvious question but could someone explain it to me?

Laying the knife flat on the stone and thinning the steel behind what is making the initial cut. The idea is to prevent the steel behind the edge from getting progressively thicker so you have both an acute secondary and primary edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    A phrase I've been hearing a lot lately. To be honest I'm confused?

It may seem like an obvious question but could someone explain it to me?
    You messin with us?

'The only real security that a man can have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability.' -Henry Ford

I confess I am/was a bit confused as well because I think people use the term for two different activities, no?

Namely,

(1)Literally thinning behind the edge for example when one lowers the angle, sharpens, and then raises the angle a wee bit and puts on a microbevel with the final stone?

and

(2)Thinning up the surface of the blade, keeping the knife really really flat against the stone (<10 degrees??) for example and grinds away up to the shinogi line or even grinds away at the whole width of the blade to change the geometry of the knife.

Or am I missing something??

Neither....

3) Laying the kitchen knife flat, literally flat on the stone, like, 0 degrees.

This is a picture of a mizuno I once had while it was in the thinning stages. You can thin behind the edge at any angle you're comfortable with really the lower you go the thinner your edge will be. I don't usually lay the entire blade "flat" but rather thin at around 2 degrees or so. Just a c-hair off the stone with the spine. Changes the geometry a touch but leaves a bit of convexity that I like.
    Don't touch my d!ck. Dont touch my knife. ~ Anthony Bourdain ~

Quote Originally Posted by gic View Post
    I confess I am/was a bit confused as well because I think people use the term for two different activities, no?

Namely,

(1)Literally thinning behind the edge for example when one lowers the angle, sharpens, and then raises the angle a wee bit and puts on a microbevel with the final stone?

and

(2)Thinning up the surface of the blade, keeping the knife really really flat against the stone (<10 degrees??) for example and grinds away up to the shinogi line or even grinds away at the whole width of the blade to change the geometry of the knife.

Or am I missing something??
    Either can be thinning behind the edge, depending on the knife design and your intended purpose.
    I try to be the man I am..in times of broken lives. Shattered dreams and plans..standing up to fight. Pressures and demands..staring at the knife. Holding in your hands..

I guess saying "behind the edge" is redundant if you are thinning the knife. The whole knife is behind the edge. Where else are you going to thin it?

You know that is a very good insight. Ergo shouldn't we say: thinning a knife for effecting the geometry whereas thinning behind the edge should mean just affecting the actual edge as in my example of low angle + applying microbevel??