Quantcast
"Thinning behind the edge"? - Page 18
+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: "Thinning behind the edge"?

when i first started with jknives, my sharpening skills were horrible but i could still get a sharp edge. well as sharp as the edge might have been, my knives still didn't cut very well until i eventually started thinning and altering the geometry not understanding what i was really doing or why it worked. basically got the 'ah ha' moment by sheer luck/accident trial & error. i now have my own technique and pretty much sharpen every knife the same and get consistent results regardless of the blades original geometry. they each cut slightly different but the performance is at a level where i am comfortable with.

i don't rotate out different gyutos for different tasks, i just randomly choose one for what ever one i feel like using. the one gyuto i consider my best performing one, i only use for mass prep work as it's really too big for most things.

Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post
    This is my reason for owning numerous gyutos. Different knives for different tasks.
    Not only numerous gyuto's,Diff. blades entirely in my experience.Yanagi's for banquet platters of sashimi & sushi topping to bone cleavers for ginger chix.Always kept a thin carbon lazor for certain tasks.Various gyuto & cleavers.

I feel very fortunate to have learned a sharpening tech. that has served me well for almost 30 years.Most of the Pro's here are ahead of the curve wt. sharpening & have diff. tech that work for them, it is so important to have a sharp well performing knife.

Now I enjoy teaching cooks in the field & culinary students because I know it will really pay off down the line for them.I will continue on this forum to push freehand to beginners because I feel the more out there the better & its the best way to sharpen.

Just reading threads I know there are some excellent sharpeners here.From straight razors to Japanese single bevel.I would not even begin to get into a pissing battle on tech.

Nothing earth shattering in the video, but the comment about chef's with $400 knives is interesting.

Jay
    I'm a over-sized, under-educated, two onions a month, cutting fool.

Quote Originally Posted by jaybett View Post
    Nothing earth shattering in the video, but the comment about chef's with $400 knives is interesting.

Jay
    That video was actually insulting to me........sure I'd rather have anything sharp over anything dull, but that isn't really a comparison. Silly clown.......

And that looked like an early model j knife. Grandfather to the Mac. Thin as heck, decent moly steel, probably hardened to about 58.....
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    such a stoopid video. Refile this in the knucklehedz thread.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

he should have compared it to a shun but both sharpened

Spokane, WA aka Spokanistan, or Spoklahoma, or...
    Quote Originally Posted by jaybett View Post

Jay
    What about if you sharpen your $1000 knife and not keep it dull genius?
    Amat Victoria Curam Fortune favors the prepared.
    "A human being is primarily a bag for putting food into." -George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by quantumcloud509 View Post
    What about if you sharpen your $1000 knife and not keep it dull genius?
    Quantum! Nice to see you back on the forum!
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

Spokane, WA aka Spokanistan, or Spoklahoma, or...
    Thank you, thank you
    Amat Victoria Curam Fortune favors the prepared.
    "A human being is primarily a bag for putting food into." -George Orwell

+ Reply to Thread