Rod Sharpeners

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WLX17

Reaction score
Are they good for anything? Should I just throw mine away and get a whetstone?
Any advice for a newbie would be greatly appreciated.

-Ben

They may be useful when dealing, cautiously, with very basic carbons. Otherwise, expect huge burr and wire edge problems.
For maintenance, not for sharpening, a very fine ceramic rod may have its use in a pro environment where stones and strops are no real option.

I see. Thanks for the response. So I should not be using this on my wusthoff chef's knife or my victorinox pearing knife? I was thinking about getting a Fujiwara Gyuoto (240). I am torn between Carbon or stainless? Does anyone have a preference, and if I go carbon, would the rod sharpener be of any use? (I just bought a king whetstone that should be here in 2-3 weeks). I also was looking at carbonext, anybody have a pro's and cons list of these two brands?
Thanks...

I used a rod sharpener for years, and then eventually came around to better knives and better sharpening methods when the rod sharpener just wasn't getting my knives very sharp. What happens is that after time, even with the same edge, as you sharpen a knife you get into the thicker part of the blade, and it doesn't cut as well because you knife ends up shaped more axe-like. You can fix this on a whetstone, though.

So, yes, get a whetstone. They're a lot more flexible and faster. No need to throw away your rod sharpener, though. I still keep a rod sharpener and a diamond "V" sharpener around for the junkier knives, the knives worth less to me than the water stone.

As far as what whetstone(s) to get, I'm sure folks here can give you some great advice. What sort of knives do you have now? What might you be planning to get in the future.

I just bought a king (1000/6000) stone online. I Think my next purchase will be a 240 MM gyuto, as my largest knife at the moment is a 6" classic wusthoff. I am torn between 3 models, all regarded as good starter knives on this forum:

1) Fujiwara stainless
2) fujiwara carbon
3) Carbonext

I am just using this for home use, and will be practicing my sharpening on this (after I beat up my cheap knives for the next month or so)

Thanks!

Sounds good. I just ordered one online. Seems like a decent price. Should i put patina on it when it arrives?

You certainly should. OOTB it's a little smelly...due to some sulfur remainings. Degrease with alcohol or acetone, rub in with garlic and lemon, and rinse with hot water. Do this prior to the first sharpening, the mixture will somewhat eat the edge as well. Doesn't matter, it comes anyway with a weak OOTB edge you should get rid off.

awesome tips, thanks. Should I use the mustard trick to get the 'look' i want?

You may use mustard, but take care: with the salt in it, pitting might occur when you wait too long. I prefer garlic and lemon for a fast and safe patina. And later on, raw meat, hot meat and apples. Just for fun. Don't forget to clean the edge immediately after use, though. And rinse with hot water. By the way: it's a good practice to use soap or baking soda to neutralize all that acid stuff, and let your blade dry before putting it away.

Coca cola will put a gray pantina. Also follow up with baking soda washes. The smell and what not goes away. The Fujiwara carbon is super easy to sharpen. :), I'll probably pickup a 270mm when I get the chance.

awesome, thanks for all the great advice. Anyone got any pictures of various patterns put on with different substances? I saw one post from a fellow who put a wavy pattern on with mustard, it was really cool.

awesome, thanks for all the great advice. Anyone got any pictures of various patterns put on with different substances? I saw one post from a fellow who put a wavy pattern on with mustard, it was really cool.

Check out the "My favorite color is blue" thread.

One of the many pics in that thread:

attachment.php

Sharpening Stones are used to completely restore the edge on a dull knife and rod is ideal for keeping knives sharp, but not effective when your knives are very dull.

Sharpening Stones are used to completely restore the edge on a dull knife and rod is ideal for keeping knives sharp, but not effective when your knives are very dull.
+1
Won't make a dull knife sharp, just to maintain the edge of an already sharp knife for a reasonable time.
I would get a Mac black or Idahone or DMT has got very fine ceramic rod (2200 grit) or Eden ceramic sharpening rod.
On a long run you better get some stones as well. Like a 1k and a 3k/5k.

Back