your mise en place?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masibu

Reaction score
I really like my knives as well as my stones. Its hard to pick what I love more. When the two get together though, my god they make some mess. This causes friction for my girlfriend as I always miss cleaning up somewhere or I use her "nice" tea towel to clean up.

The other week I looked to fix this ongoing problem and bought an outdoor table for like 60 bucks. Tried this setup today and I think I like it! Out in the sun, making whatever mess I like and then get the garden hose and spray everything off. It just got me thinking.. whats your sharpening routine?
1267619_10153194444725478_807449612_o.jpg

I have that same fillet station, and probably never would have thought to use it for sharpening. Does it wobble much?

I'm rocking a suehiro stone holder, over a stone bridge, over a stainless hotel pan that I borrowed indefinitely from one of the restaurants. I'm a bachelor currently, so the rig in total is always hanging out next to my kitchen sink. Surrounded by little pieces of sandpaper and errant corks...

My back room is tile, so I pulled in a 30gal drum, and slotted a 2x4 to fit over the rim. I clamped a lamp and my stone holder to the 2x4...then filled the drum with water (with a package of baking soda in it). Voila...instant polishing/sharpening station. Its the perfect height for a rolling computer chair...so I can sit in the AC and watch/listen to the big screen in the back, and sand away at hardened W2 to my hearts content lol.

I'll have to see about getting a picture.

My back room is tile, so I pulled in a 30gal drum, and slotted a 2x4 to fit over the rim. I clamped a lamp and my stone holder to the 2x4...then filled the drum with water (with a package of baking soda in it). Voila...instant polishing/sharpening station. Its the perfect height for a rolling computer chair...so I can sit in the AC and watch/listen to the big screen in the back, and sand away at hardened W2 to my hearts content lol.

I'll have to see about getting a picture.

Snapped a picture really fast.

20130917_224356.jpg

My back room is a largeish (30'x14') add on that used to be an 'Arizona Room'. It's been finished and insulated etc, its mostly storage...but I keep a computer, TV, etc back here...along with a work table and the tools and such I've drug in that I won't take into the house lol.

Trust me, it beats working in my outdoor shop at 118°F in the summer :).

New station, after Wife kicked me out of the kitchen
DSC_0004.JPG

stones: L>R= coarse to fine

220 Pink brick
masamoto 240
chosera 400
chosera 600
Gesshin 1K XL
Masamoto 1K XL
Bester 1200
Jumbo Binsui
Suehiro Rika 5K
Naniwa Snow white 8K
kitayama
DSC_0001.JPG

I have that same fillet station, and probably never would have thought to use it for sharpening. Does it wobble much?

It's not a solid bench like in a kitchen, but it's sturdy enough.. The convenience of being outside and blasting it with the hose afterwards piqued my interest and I thought I'd see how it goes. I sort of dig mine into the dirt a little bit (I was worried about it wobbling myself) and I haven't had any problems. Not sure about it on concrete or something hard, although I've considered getting some non-slip mats or something. Being able to pack the table away is pretty handy, plus it makes a pretty good BBQ set-up as well.

Back