Quantcast
Shigefusa Thinness Question - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shigefusa Thinness Question

Hi Marko,
    Of the 100s of shig gyutos, I have four now. The only 'control' is a 270 kasumi and 270 keiteji weighing in at 278 g and 296 g. The heavier one has a bit more convexnessness than the kasumi and I tend to reach for the kasumi more often because dropping through food is more to my liking. In practice, a wet starchy potato sticks almost regardless and this is sometimes more dependent on technique also. So my vote is for the nimble, controlled cutter that might sacrifice a bit of sticktion. Some of the later Dr. Naka's were a bit too thin in my opinion, however. Later, I will get out the micrometer to see how these two really differ.
    Everywhere you go, there you are.

Thanks guys. I am going to do one last comparison, and go back to grinding.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

I just pulled out the calipers. My 180 Shig is just under 1.6mm about 10 mm forward of the heel. It's down to 1.22 a little way back from the tip. Some things stick to it, but for ease of cutting, it's freaking amazing.
    Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller

It sounds like I have to offer two thicknesses - standard and "laser". There seems to be no way around it in combining the two, though difference in geometries is under .5mm, but performance is different.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

+ Reply to Thread