Quantcast
My first two Wa handles!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first two Wa handles!!

My first two Wa handles!!

Decided to try my hands at making a wa handle, we'll first didn't work out so good. I ended up scraping it but learnt allot from it. So then I made my second( which became my first usable one) I choose dyed flamed redwood and a flamed maples ferrule. I had allot of fun so decided to do another. Next was buckeye burl with bog oak ferrule. I think they turned out pretty good for having no woodworking experience at all. Before this I barely even touched power tools. I should also give a big thank you to Randy Haas, he helped me get pointed in the right direction. So thanks Randy!!

Now I just have to install them. Redwood/maple going on a 150mm single bevel shig, buckeye/bog oak going on a 250mm fowler

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  19.1 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  16.0 KB

Looks great!

Its hard to tell from the pictures...but did you put any taper into them?
    I try to be the man I am..in times of broken lives. Shattered dreams and plans..standing up to fight. Pressures and demands..staring at the knife. Holding in your hands..

That's what I have to work on, they both have very little taper, and I mean very little, not even 1mm. Any advice is always welcomed I really have no experience at all with wood working but I do have access to all the tools.

Very nice looking. Keep up the good work.
    It only hurts til the pain goes away........

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianMan View Post
    That's what I have to work on, they both have very little taper, and I mean very little, not even 1mm. Any advice is always welcomed I really have no experience at all with wood working but I do have access to all the tools.
    What I like to do is make a perfect rectangle (or square if you want a perfectly octagonal handle) that already has the tang slot cut in the ferrule. At that point I cut in my preferred tapers. I square everything off of the tang slot so I know the tapers will fit the knife at the machi. Once you have your tapers set (I usually taper about 3mm front to back...but sometimes I'll do more)...you can use calipers to scribe a # pattern on the ferrule and butt of the knife. The # pattern makes it REALLY easy to cut in your angles...you just match them on both ends. Like this:

I don't usually measure the marks on the butt (locking the calipers ensures they're the same...but the actual number isn't relevant to me. I just make it look right), but I do on the ferrule so I know that they won't intersect the tang slot. Generally the marks on the butt are something around 1mm (.5 per side) wider than on the ferrule though...this helps add to the illusion of more taper.

Hope that helps!
    I try to be the man I am..in times of broken lives. Shattered dreams and plans..standing up to fight. Pressures and demands..staring at the knife. Holding in your hands..

What tools did you use to get the handles done? What did you use as the construction method?

That looks amazing!

That flamed handle is really a stunner! Great job!
    "A recipe has no soul. You as the cook must bring soul to the recipe." -Thomas Keller

Thanks CrisAnderson27!!! I will deffiently be taking your advice on he next handle. actually have you ever worked with mammoth tooth? I was thinking of using some in my next handle ( I have a piece or green mammoth tooth) but I dn't know what I should cut it with or how it is when sanding

ar11

What tools did you use to get the handles done? What did you use as the construction method?
    I used a belt/disc sander, a bandsaw, and hand sand paper, I went up to 1500 grit

For my method I just cut the pieces I wanted, glued them together, squared everything off. then I just started to shape it