Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dinner Tonight: Salmon in Pepper Crust

I actually haven't had steamed salmon but I like mine poached :P

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Thanks for that reply, I didn't even think about that. I may just go with something simple salt, pepper and lemon because they do want it done over a fire.
    Nothing wrong with that! Grilled salmon is great -- but different from this recipe.
    Doug Collins
    Hermosa Beach, California

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Lovely, even if I think you may have had your pan a bit too hot. Don't get me wrong- I'm all for super intense heat for blackening, grilling, etc, but you have to be careful about burning any spices. Looks as if you nailed it pretty good.

Salmon is my favorite fish. Not only is it very tasty, it lends itself to a wide range of cooking methods. It excels in steaming, grilling, and pan searing.
    It blackens pretty quickly because of the sugar. Cooks quickly, too, so a hot pan is essential for developing the crust, and if it's not hot enough, the fish will get too done before the outside gets nice and crusty -- but you're right that too hot can be a problem, too.
    Doug Collins
    Hermosa Beach, California

Quote Originally Posted by FryBoy View Post
    It blackens pretty quickly because of the sugar. Cooks quickly, too, so a hot pan is essential for developing the crust, and if it's not hot enough, the fish will get too done before the outside gets nice and crusty -- but you're right that too hot can be a problem, too.
    I loves me some blackened salmon.

Not too many fish can handle both the aggressive heat of searing or grilling and the delicate processes of poaching and steaming.

When blackening, I like to keep the cast iron out on the grill- saves trips from the fire department and marriages.
    I really am related to Tony Clifton.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMel View Post
    I actually haven't had steamed salmon but I like mine poached :P
    Steaming is even easier than poaching- you can't screw up the temp. Bamboo steamers are amazing- you can steam the fish on a plate or on a piece of lettuce/cabbage.

Hmmm. Not one mention of Salmon en Papillote.
    I really am related to Tony Clifton.