Quantcast
What makes a great meal?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What makes a great meal?

Question What makes a great meal?

I was thinking of some of the great meals that I have had in the past. Some elaborate feasts and some very humble, but honest efforts.

Of course the food plays into it, but company, location, ambiance and service all play a role for me in those most memorable meals.

So what makes a meal great for you?

I remember great dishes, great locations, great single bites, great wine pairings, but I remember only one great meal that was not determined by the company of friends or family I was with.

Stefan

I've been fortunate to have had countless great meals. They're everything you said plus food, wine and company that have love and soul.

If I really think about it the company and ambiance make the meal great. The food and wine are necessary but insufficient on their own.

Most of the best meals I have had were when I went in with no/ low expectations, and was completely blown away by the food. Some were relatively inexpensive, and some were quite costly. All had at least a decent level of service. The settings varied from plain to fancy, indoor and outdoor. Most were here in the US, but a couple were in Italy. There usually was a wife involved, and it was usually one of mine

The company.
    I really am related to Tony Clifton.

It's the food, for me. I have grown to dislike eating with anyone other than my wife because I just don't know anyone that cares enough about their food to pay real attention to it. They take 2 bites, decide their opinion, then talk about something while scarfing the balance down. I guess it's just because I've been working in food service, but when I eat, I am focusing first on what I am eating.

Food that has been shown complete consideration is what I like. It doesn't have to be fine dining, it just needs to be what it is on purpose, start to finish.

But as for a GREAT meal...well, hunger is the best sauce. I suggest that before you have a special feast, you go on a short fast(like all day beforehand) or an austere diet for a week.

How good the bite was.

-AJ

Well, first it should be free...................
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

I meant to say how good the LAST bite was!

-AJ

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    It's the food, for me. I have grown to dislike eating with anyone other than my wife because I just don't know anyone that cares enough about their food to pay real attention to it. They take 2 bites, decide their opinion, then talk about something while scarfing the balance down. I guess it's just because I've been working in food service, but when I eat, I am focusing first on what I am eating.

Food that has been shown complete consideration is what I like. It doesn't have to be fine dining, it just needs to be what it is on purpose, start to finish.

But as for a GREAT meal...well, hunger is the best sauce. I suggest that before you have a special feast, you go on a short fast(like all day beforehand) or an austere diet for a week.
    I agree with pretty much all of this.

Yeah, the company and atmosphere and service matter I guess, but I think having those things great help mediocre food seem great. I have plenty of those meals, and the entire experience is what I look back on fondly, not each dish we had.

It doesn't have to be high end or expensive food. I think perfect execution of every dish and component is what leads to a great meal.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney