Jalapeno Pie?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DevinT

Reaction score
I need some ideas for a jalapeno pie to take to the local chili cook off. I am thinking more of a sweet pie and not something like a tamale type pie.

Please give me some winning ideas, any and all help is appreciated.

Hoss

I was thinking jalapeno and crab cheesecake with a hint of chipotles, so we are on the same page my friend.

Here is one for you:

Apple and Jalapeno pie (never any left overs...)

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons butter
6 granny smith large apples, peeled, cored and cubed
4 chilies, jalapeno, hatch or 4 poblano chiles, chopped fine
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
2 tablespoons Grand Marnier or 2 tablespoons cherry juice
1 prepared frozen pie crust

For the Crumble topping

1 cup flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 ground cayenne pepper
6 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces

Directions:

1. Make the filling: In a large saucepan over medium heat,melt the butter.Add apples and toss to coat.Stir in 1/2-1 cup water,chiles,brown sugar,cinnamon,vinegar and Gran Marnier.Bring to a boil,reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 hour.Remove from heat and set aside.The filling can be prepared 4 days in advance.
2. Preheat oven to 400.Thaw pie crust and fill with pie weights.Bake pie shell for 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile,make the crimble topping:pulse all ingredients in a food processor,about 15 seconds until crumbly.Set aside.
4. Remove pie crust from oven,discard weights,and fill with prepared apple filling.Cover the filling with the crumble topping.Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown.
5. This is excellent with ice cream on top

If you can find some berries, a strawberry pie with jalepenos could be good. Lots of recipes out there--just search on strawberry pie--basically a pie shell lined with fresh berries, and a simple syrup-type glaze over the top--I'd mince up some jalepenos and put them in to boil with the glaze. You could use whatever kind of fruit is in season for the pie.

Good stuff peeps. I'm thinking of also trying a buttermilk pie with jalapeno's.

Thanks

Hoss

Here is one for you:

Apple and Jalapeno pie (never any left overs...)

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons butter
6 granny smith large apples, peeled, cored and cubed
4 chilies, jalapeno, hatch or 4 poblano chiles, chopped fine
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
2 tablespoons Grand Marnier or 2 tablespoons cherry juice
1 prepared frozen pie crust

For the Crumble topping

1 cup flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 ground cayenne pepper
6 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces

Directions:

1. Make the filling: In a large saucepan over medium heat,melt the butter.Add apples and toss to coat.Stir in 1/2-1 cup water,chiles,brown sugar,cinnamon,vinegar and Gran Marnier.Bring to a boil,reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 hour.Remove from heat and set aside.The filling can be prepared 4 days in advance.
2. Preheat oven to 400.Thaw pie crust and fill with pie weights.Bake pie shell for 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile,make the crimble topping:pulse all ingredients in a food processor,about 15 seconds until crumbly.Set aside.
4. Remove pie crust from oven,discard weights,and fill with prepared apple filling.Cover the filling with the crumble topping.Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown.
5. This is excellent with ice cream on top

Going to try this one, and Lucretia's. I'd never heard of jalapeno deserts lol. My use of them has always been limited to chili, poppers, and pico =p.

Bet a Kentucky Derby Pie (Pecan Pie with bourbon and chocolate) would be good with some chopped jalapenos sauteed in a little butter added to it.

Any thoughts on how you're going to do the buttermilk pie? I'm thinking slice/split jalapenos, then simmer them in your buttermilk for a bit so that it picks up all that peppery goodness, then strain to make the pie. Put a ring of candied jalapenos on top--one slice for each piece.

Thanks, sounds like a good plan. I'll try some with the fruit pies also.

Hoss

Dark Chocolate.

w/ dried cherries and chipotle. Blood orange whip on top.

How about a Jalapeno popper cheesecake? Just make a savory cheesecake (which already contains the cream cheese) and add diced roasted jalapenos and diced rendered bacon of course.

They are having two competitions at the same event, chili and pie. I do a red, a green, a white, and a meat ball chili. Depending on who they pick for the judges, I usually place in the top three. Pie is a new thing this year so I want to do something unusual for the contest. I'm normally a cream pie guy, but would like to try something weird or unusual.

Hoss

I know chillies and chocolate are a classic combo dating back to the Aztecs. Maybe a chille and chocolate cake/ cheese cake with some sort of toasted nut element. A molé cheese cake.

I would fire roast the peppers, devein, skin and seed them. I would pare them with something acidic, like lime. Maybe a rendition of key lime. Also using cream cheese would help coat the palate. So maybe a fire roasted jalapeno key lime cheesecake.

I would fire roast the peppers, devein, skin and seed them. I would pare them with something acidic, like lime. Maybe a rendition of key lime. Also using cream cheese would help coat the palate. So maybe a fire roasted jalapeno key lime cheesecake.

Sounds really good too. Like that spin. Maybe make it a touch sweeter than normal so the heat is mor of a back burner kind of thing. Like Thai food. Balance of sweet salty sour and spicy. Don't know what your means are but some sort of slightly salty whipped cream might balance it all out... Just a thought. Jalapeño key line brûlée with pink sea salt cumin whipped cream. Throw some sweet chipotle pepitas in there somewhere for a little extra crunch n kick.

:notworthy:

I like the idea of the dried and candied peppers.

I'm thinking a traditional tarte au chocolat recipe with flakes of crushed candied peppers, cut with a little flaked sea salt. Make the tart quite bitter and the crushed peppers really quite sweet.

So, I tried one. It was a dark chocolate, jalapeno, bacon, and cream cheese pie. I candied the jalapeno's and bacon , then mixed that with the cream cheese and sugar. Layered that in the bottom and poured the dark chocolate custard over that.

It was pretty good but the bacon was distracting. I'm going to try a fruit pie with peppers and maybe a fruit pie with cream cheese and candied peppers in the bottom. Anton's recipe looks good too.

Hoss

Hoss, I have tested a spicy peppers pineapple filling butter shortcake which is very good!! just an ideal for you.....

Orange goes pretty well with hot peppers, you could make a orange and jalapeno marmalade, then put it in a prebaked pie shell (preferably homemade) for a tart. Mangoes and hot peppers are very popular too, and you could put a mango and jalapeno mixture into a parbaked pie shell to make a mango and jalapeno tart.

Orange goes pretty well with hot peppers, you could make a orange and jalapeno marmalade, then put it in a prebaked pie shell (preferably homemade) for a tart. Mangoes and hot peppers are very popular too, and you could put a mango and jalapeno mixture into a parbaked pie shell to make a mango and jalapeno tart.

Mmmmm...or as topping for a cream cheese pie...

I've found jalapeno's go incredibly well with mango also. Not that I have a clue how to make any of these incredible deserts like these guys...but I know good flavor when I taste it :). I can see a mango jalapeno pie pretty easily.

I can give you recipes if you're interested, just pm me your email. I need to work two fifteen hour shifts the next two days, but I should have them sometimes next week.

So anyone want recipes for the two pies I mentioned? I'll technically be making them as tarts, but I can include directions to make them as pies instead. I'm writing a recipe book, and I need people to test out recipes for me and give me feedback. Currently, they're formatted on my computer so it'd be easier for me to email them to you, but if there's like 2-3 people who want it in a forum post, I can take the time to write it out in a forum post too. Just promise me that you'll actually make it and tell me how you think the recipe can be improved.

Also, I tend to write my recipes to be incredibly detailed so that even someone who is a complete novice is able to achieve the same results as I do. I highly encourage individuals to make their own personal decisions in my recipes so I include information about how to pick your produce, what type of flour to use, how to preheat an oven properly, what type of pan to use, and almost every single little detail you could imagine. However, the amount of information can be overwhelming for someone who doesn't want to understand every little process and simply wants to follow a list of directions. For this reason, I will be writing an abridged version too so please let me know which one you're interested in.

Back