here piggy piggy...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrCoffee

Reaction score
photo-34_zps4a2991a1.jpg

Cute, but prolly not a great idea to start a new thread for every pic.

i woke up to this on my day off (roommate is also a cook) couldn't resist.

I'm not a prude but that's kinda not cool.

in which respects if you don't mind me asking?
our enthusiasm may have gotten the best of us, but our enthusiasm is still just a celebration of the gift of that animal from nature to us in the form of nourishment and sustenance.
to add to the disgrace it was deboned and stuffed with sausage and apple, sacralicious!

i get a pig every year..she always asks me when i want to dispatch it and turn it into food.

the suckling stage is tempting, but i always let it get bigger for the volume of deliciousness. this year,,NADA. no romance in the pig pens.

At a place I used to work, we roasted off a few sucklings for a lunch party. Later that afternoon, we popped the eyes out, covered them in chocolate and left them out for the servers. Hilarity ensued.

I only took the one picture. Basically, you determine doneness by feeling the movement in the joints. Then I take it out, let it rest until just above room temp, cut out the backbone, split the head and cut the body, shoulders, legs into serving pieces, place on a drip pan, then make a hotter fire from vine cuttings and stick the pan back in to puff and crisp the skin. The cuts you mention don't really exist on an 8 pound pig. I mean, I suppose they do, but you don't separate them as such.

We do them on a fairly regular basis. I'll spit roast them or cook it on a rack.

That pit was the best 80 bucks I ever spent.

50 to 75 pounders.

I Hope that's not galvanized chicken wire. You could end up getting a toxic dose of zinc and other heavy metals. Even the fumes from heating galvanized steel over a flame are dangerous, and can cause the "zinc shakes".

Back