YOUNG GUNS: Who are the New Knife Makers and Where to Find Them?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DitmasPork

Reaction score
Does anyone know a good resource for finding noteworthy new knife makers? I'm well aware of and have much respect for the many established contemporary knife makers, such as Bloodroot, Tsourkan, Devin, Carter, etc.

Where would I find some of the up-and-coming knife making talents? I like the idea of supporting, maybe buying something of quality, made by a US based artisan that is still cutting-their-teeth, or just getting their name out.

I remember an article I'd read some time ago about a woman [can't remember her name] that had apprenticed at Brooklyn Cut, and now makes chef knives under her own label.

Do the established makers have apprentices who have gone out on their own?

Is there a good website where new makers list their info? I was thinking about how Food & Wine always publishes their 'Best New Chefs' issue.

Besides for google, you could peruse a blade magazine at a Barnes and Noble I suppose (also check for conventions/conferences for blade shows and what not).

Why not try some of the new knife makers around KKF?

How new are we talkin'? Of the four guys that you listed, only two have made knives for more than a few years. There are a good group here on this forum that are doing some very respectable work and have not made knives for very long.

In the olden days, you were considered a new knife maker until you displayed and sold knives at a major knife show. Today the internet along with forums and the like has diminished the need for knife shows.

I do recommend that you go with a guy who specializes in kitchen knives, those who make other types of knives and then switch to kitchen knives have a harder time getting the grinds and profiles correct.

Hoss

Moriah Cowles from Orchard Steel. Nice stuff, but certainly not any cheaper than some of the more established makers out there.

How new are we talkin'? Of the four guys that you listed, only two have made knives for more than a few years. There are a good group here on this forum that are doing some very respectable work and have not made knives for very long.

In the olden days, you were considered a new knife maker until you displayed and sold knives at a major knife show. Today the internet along with forums and the like has diminished the need for knife shows.

I do recommend that you go with a guy who specializes in kitchen knives, those who make other types of knives and then switch to kitchen knives have a harder time getting the grinds and profiles correct.

Hoss

Agree that there's a good number of very talented makers on KKF, just want to get an idea of where else people find new makers. My interest in quality chefs knives is relatively new, and I'm just curious about the knife makers that I've never heard of who are doing quality work. I love the knives that I have, they are all wonderful factory knives. I'm looking down the line, when I'll be able to get a custom knife.

Part of my thinking—perhaps a bit naive, perhaps not—is that maybe a less known maker wouldn't have such a long wait list? For example, your [DevinT] knives are covetable, I've always wanted one, but have been been resigned to never owning one because of the wait list, or how they're snapped up on B/S/T in minutes.

With the knife makers on KKF, it is sometimes difficult for me to get a sense of who's a new maker, and who has been around for a while. Still soaking it all in.

Of the four you listed, never heard of bloodroot, Marko's been on these forums for many years but only started making knives maybe two years ago, and Devin and Carter are definetely senior knivemakers. KKF is what you are looking for on up-and-coming kitchen knife makers. You could keep an eye out on the American Bladesmith Society apprentice and journeymans. Short of google, the other knife forum site is a good place too.

Moriah Cowles from Orchard Steel. Nice stuff, but certainly not any cheaper than some of the more established makers out there.

yes - I just picked up one of hers and really like it. tip is very thin (and somewhat delicate), but blade has heft and balance along with a sense of 'weight' - definitely a keeper and really feels hand made.

gorgeous knife. I bought it for detail work on veg and fruits, but it works well all around.

I think it's a great idea to support new makers, but really not sure how to evaluate which are worth it, whatever that means to anyone. Supporting a young maker entails some risk, which is why you save on the dollar cost, waiting time, or some other factor.

I'm sure there are some lesser known, younger makers who are making good knives and will be much better known in five years. And others who will still be obscure after that time.

Aaron Wilburn who is a vender here is new in the kitchen and pretty good. Also Erik Fritz from Montana has a good heat treat and designs are improving prices are good.

there is also Bruce Barnett in OZ. Who also learned my heat treating proceedure.

For a newer maker the 1st name that comes to mind is Mike Davis.
He has a full time job and a young family so there aren't a lot of knives being made.
But if you can get one, you will like it.
I feel lucky to have 2 of his knives, a gyuto and a petty.
They get used quite a bit.

and she has a new website up as of tonight: http://orchardsteel.com/

Her knives are quite beautiful...rustic and simple, but with a definite feminine elegance. The profile of the spine is particularly appealing to my own aesthetic.

Performance wise they look to be very thin...and appear to have little to no belly.

I'd love to get one in hand to try out :).

Second Mike Davis's knives. I have a mioroshi deba which I use daily for fish breakdown and an usuba by him. They are very functional for everyday pro use yet aesthetically pleasing.

Back