Anyone use any cooking apps?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sous vide dash helps calculate cooking times. I'm just getting started and needed a little handholding.

I've got the Cook's Illustrated app...it's got all their reciepes, grocery lists, timers, etc. Not bad for what it is.

I might go looking for those two apps though....esp after the iOS7 updated :)

Google

and a few bookmarks set to things like pressure cooker timetables.

The only food-related app that I've tried and continued to use is "buy me a pie" which is a shopping list app.
It will let you created multiple lists (like lists for different stores), add prices, and add categories, and the UI is very clean and simple, but what's kept it installed and in use is the ability to share the account / lists over multiple devices and the real-time updates and push notifications. So, anyone in your household can create and update a list and and everyone else's are instantly synced. If you're all shopping together you can split up and cross things off the list as you get them.
I know you can accomplish the same thing with a variety of different list / task apps or even Google Doc's or tasks, but BMAP is faster and cleaner so it feels like less worth than the old scrap-o-paper method.

I use a converstion app. so that all my recipes are in metric and by weight.There are also some useful temperature apps for internal temperatures.

Just DL both the Sous Vide (Polyscience one) and Ratio apps...looks pretty good. Thanks!

what the hell is a cooking app???

:)

I havent found anything I liked to date, and I cant say anything is better than google if you're looking for ideas. Google has everything your app would contain. I guess the only difference would be a cleaner, more refined recipe presentation in an app, and a different style of search engine, but the possibilities tend to be limited on apps vs google. Just my .02.

I will check out the sous vide app though as I am trying to improve my technique of the sous vide this year and anything helps I guess.

They won't run on my old flip phone.

Sometimes it's tough being a luddite.

BTW...the PolyScience SV app doesn't work correctly on iOS7. Seems to be fine on iOS6 though.

The one I use is called Sous Vide Dash. It's not by Polyscience. Seems to be working on ios7.

The one I use is called Sous Vide Dash. It's not by Polyscience. Seems to be working on ios7.

Thanks!

The reviews for the PolyScience one said it's identical to the SVD one....but maybe not :)

Back