Quantcast
OT - I Hate Apple! - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: OT - I Hate Apple!

i love Apple. i've been using their products for years. i run technology at my department (everything from NMR machines to fluoroscopy to desktops) and i really wish i had the budget to have a department wide Mac roll out. well, to be honest, i wish i had the budget to buy 5 new computers of any make, but that's academia for you.

I like the iphone and ipad other than the fact that it has a crappy browser that doesn't support flash. I ambivalent about Macs. I hate itunes with a passion. What a piece of crap software. I bogs down the system and keeps trying to install a whole bunch of stuff I don't want like Safari during updates.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    You're already spending $70+ a month for service, Mobile Me adds $8.33 per month, and is, IMHO, worth it. If I add a contact to my phone, it is automatically added to to my wife's iPhone, my iPad and both our laptops. Not to mention the schedules and bookmarks also synchronize, and I get some cloud-based storage thrown in as well..
    Apple's UI and integration are slick if you have an Apple household, but you can get contact/calendar/bookmark sync from Google or Yahoo for free.

Yep, you use iTunes for that, now. I'd like to be able to sync without having to use a cable, though..
    That is more or less my point about Apple being business-model driven. Wireless calandar/contacts sync was a standard feature of all smart phones when the iphone arrived, but it doesn't serve them any purpose. Itunes, despite being bloated and buggy, drives business to thier music and app stores. So, they very intentionally glued the sync piece into itunes. My Mom knows what iSync does, but she can't figure out the sync options in Itunes.

If your computers aren't networked, it shouldn't take an hour to copy a few files to a thumb drive and move them between computers. If they are, then share your iTunes libraries between computers. A song transfers in less than ten seconds.
    Nope, not talking about file transfer time. It takes an hour to sync and backup whether you are adding 1 song or 100 to a 32GB iphone. You would think they could perform an incremental sync and backup by now. I'm hoping they will add over the air updates to the OS, but I don't think they are feeling much pressure from Android.

As far as "capturing you within their ecosystem", well, I'd need to know specifically what you are alluding to. If you are complaining about the so-called "walled garden" of the App Store, that's a non-starter for me.
    There isn't anything wrong with the App Store, but it does look like they are about to drive Pandora and LastFM out with the new in-app subscription policy. That is just the sort of move you would expect Apple to make before launching their own music subscription service.

I could go on but I'm not trying to bash Apple. It just seems to me that some people cut them a lot of slack. If Microsoft were to make similar busines decisions or have a similarly dominant market position they would be viewed with more suspicion. I've had iphones since the 3G, but I aknowlege their flaws and limitations.
    "Experience" is what you get when you don't get what you want.

iTunes is completely different in OS X. the iPhone and the iPad have great browsers. it's not the browser that dictates whether the devices support flash. i hate flash, and i'm glad that sad sack piece of crap software isn't on either device.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    iTunes is completely different in OS X. the iPhone and the iPad have great browsers. it's not the browser that dictates whether the devices support flash. i hate flash, and i'm glad that sad sack piece of crap software isn't on either device.
    Haha, the ecosystem argument again. Why would Apple fix iTunes on the PC when the obvious solution is to have everyone buy a Mac?

Web-based flash apps compete with the App store. It isn't religion, its business.
    "Experience" is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Regardless of their business model or their software, they boast about their hardware like they are doing the world a favor by making phones and tablets and using "green" parts that make the world a better place. I work with guys from Taiwan that know people who work in factories where they are imprisoned, and treated like hostages, driving some to suicide...all because of Apple's highly profitable "intellectual property".

People should hate Apple for real reasons.

Yeah, at the Foxconn dormitories where they manufacture parts for apple, they had to install nets above the ground floor to discourage jumpers.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Quote Originally Posted by so_sleepy View Post
    Haha, the ecosystem argument again.
    A prison can be considered an ecosystem by the same token

Why would Apple fix iTunes on the PC when the obvious solution is to have everyone buy a Mac?
    Lemme get that straight, an excuse to produce a crappy software for any platform is to force people to the "right" platform, mac in this case? SJ always said, users have no clue what they really want, but I don't think so, do you?
    And why is it obvious? To me it's obvious that the product (itunes) is crap... And if it's on purpose, to make me do something, then it's crystal clear to stay away from that company. For the record, or to be fair, itunes is the same POS on macs too. Don't have to look too far, any mac forum is full of complaints/issues about itunes.

It isn't religion, its business.
    Theoretically it isn't, but practically, when my coworker seriously argues with me that even though on mac he can't resize window except from the lower right corner, or can't find anything in the file system(let alone copying file path), he's still somehow more productive on macs(I made him time same simple tasks on windows and macs, things were faster on win 7, but who cares...), or lots of people seriously believe macs are impervious to viruses(even though safari is one of the easiest to hack on hackercons), including those already infected, I tend to consider the possibility...

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    You have really low standards as browsers go. I have had an ipad since it came out and love the form factor, but there are times when I want to chunk across the room because it won't render pages correctly including some on this site.

And don't get me started on them pushing people to upgrade the software on their hardware only find out that the upgrade makes the device perform like crap and there is no way to downgrade back to a previous version.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein

Bert,

Before you do anything else, read this article. If your wife has been synching her iPhone with her computer, chances are the information may still be there are recoverable.

http://ipod.about.com/od/iphonetroub...ore-iphone.htm

Rick
    I did this, but evidently the restore function is what created this probledm. I am deducing that the restored file was actually empty of data, and iTunes in its infinite wisdom decided no data is new data to replace all the goodies already there. And of course the first thing restore warns you of is that that its going to wipe your data and reset factory settings.

That is not what I wanted to do. I just wanted back up my contacts. N o ability to do only that, and its buried somewhere but I don't know where. And it wiped my sim???? D&mn that is no place Apple should be going.

iTunes is designed to funnel you to buy music, it is not good for maintaining your devices. One of my true pet peeves is that it tells you not to disconnect while it performs some actions, but no where does it have a nice cutge icon telling you it is busy at work, it appears like its frozen, inducing you to do something stupid like shake vigorously

OK my friend who is an engineer with Motorola said the data may be recoverable from my wife's previous iPhone. I sure hope so.
    Bert M.

Why?! Because footballs don't have wheels!