OT - I Hate Apple!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BertMor

Reaction score
I don't get why there are so many Apple lovers out there. Yeah their technology is pretty cool, one you accept the fact that they are going screw you big time. Like I can't change the iPhone battery???? Whats with that?

So my wife's iPhone died and they gave her a new one. Then the new one started just turning off in the middle of calls. The non-Genius people said her os was an old version and needed updating.

What they didn't tell me was that the update wiped the SIM card of all her contacts!!!! She had numbers on there from 10 years ago or more. And I can't figure out how to get them back. Updating and syncing and backing up with iTunes is like trying to hit a pinata blindfolded. It doesn't tell you what you are doing, where the files go or anything. :doublebanghead:

I HATE APPLE (but I Love the Beatles, I can't believe that Apple actually won the use of that name what is the world coming to!):rant:

Bert,

You've never heard of backing up the data on your phone? What happens if you lose the phone?

By the way, Apple provides Mobile Me, which backs up and synchronizes data among iPhones, iPads and computers automatically. I never have to worry about losing data.

Just my 2 cents.

Rick

Apple, in my experience, is a user friendly OS and company.

Gotta hate their prices though.

I ain't too fond of Micro$oft, either.

I was actually thinking of switching to an iPhone.. my samsung sucks...

Bert,

You've never heard of backing up the data on your phone? What happens if you lose the phone?

By the way, Apple provides Mobile Me, which backs up and synchronizes data among iPhones, iPads and computers automatically. I never have to worry about losing data.

Just my 2 cents.

Rick

Its my wife's phone, she doesn't know how to back up her computer let alone her phone. I will check the MobileMe, but its kinda late. As I understand it, the data it still really there just that its not accessed by the OS.

I've got a Samsung Captivate phone, and I think its fine, of course I hacked the phone and put on a XDA developers ROM.

As far as user friendly, I have always have had problems navigating and understanding Apple sw. Even going back to my ole IIc. Granted Microsoft aint no ray of sunshine, but they don't treat you like an ignoramus.

We are on AT&T and have been for ages. We have so many free minutes accrued we would take a bath switching. Plus we don't have any reception issues

At $100/yr, Mobile Me is not an option most people will consider.

Apple used to offer iSync for free, it would sync contacts wirelessly. The only phone is was incompatible with was the iphone.

The problem is apples business model is to capture you within their ecosystem. Itunes is the worst part of owning an iphone especially if you have to use the PC version. I have music I want to add to my phone but it is on the wrong PC and I don't want to take an hour with itunes to add a few songs.

At $100/yr, Mobile Me is not an option most people will consider.

You're already spending $70+ a month for service, Mobile Me adds $8.33 per month, and is, IMHO, worth it. If I add a contact to my phone, it is automatically added to to my wife's iPhone, my iPad and both our laptops. Not to mention the schedules and bookmarks also synchronize, and I get some cloud-based storage thrown in as well.

Apple used to offer iSync for free, it would sync contacts wirelessly. The only phone is was incompatible with was the iphone.

Yep, you use iTunes for that, now. I'd like to be able to sync without having to use a cable, though.

The problem is apples business model is to capture you within their ecosystem. Itunes is the worst part of owning an iphone especially if you have to use the PC version. I have music I want to add to my phone but it is on the wrong PC and I don't want to take an hour with itunes to add a few songs.

If your computers aren't networked, it shouldn't take an hour to copy a few files to a thumb drive and move them between computers. If they are, then share your iTunes libraries between computers. A song transfers in less than ten seconds.

As far as "capturing you within their ecosystem", well, I'd need to know specifically what you are alluding to. If you are complaining about the so-called "walled garden" of the App Store, that's a non-starter for me.

Its my wife's phone, she doesn't know how to back up her computer let alone her phone. I will check the MobileMe, but its kinda late. As I understand it, the data it still really there just that its not accessed by the OS.

I've got a Samsung Captivate phone, and I think its fine, of course I hacked the phone and put on a XDA developers ROM.

As far as user friendly, I have always have had problems navigating and understanding Apple sw. Even going back to my ole IIc. Granted Microsoft aint no ray of sunshine, but they don't treat you like an ignoramus.

We are on AT&T and have been for ages. We have so many free minutes accrued we would take a bath switching. Plus we don't have any reception issues

Bert,

Before you do anything else, read this article. If your wife has been synching her iPhone with her computer, chances are the information may still be there are recoverable.

http://ipod.about.com/od/iphonetroubleshooting/ss/restore-iphone.htm

Rick

i love Apple. i've been using their products for years. i run technology at my department (everything from NMR machines to fluoroscopy to desktops) and i really wish i had the budget to have a department wide Mac roll out. well, to be honest, i wish i had the budget to buy 5 new computers of any make, but that's academia for you.

I like the iphone and ipad other than the fact that it has a crappy browser that doesn't support flash. I ambivalent about Macs. I hate itunes with a passion. What a piece of crap software. I bogs down the system and keeps trying to install a whole bunch of stuff I don't want like Safari during updates.

You're already spending $70+ a month for service, Mobile Me adds $8.33 per month, and is, IMHO, worth it. If I add a contact to my phone, it is automatically added to to my wife's iPhone, my iPad and both our laptops. Not to mention the schedules and bookmarks also synchronize, and I get some cloud-based storage thrown in as well..

Apple's UI and integration are slick if you have an Apple household, but you can get contact/calendar/bookmark sync from Google or Yahoo for free.

Yep, you use iTunes for that, now. I'd like to be able to sync without having to use a cable, though..

That is more or less my point about Apple being business-model driven. Wireless calandar/contacts sync was a standard feature of all smart phones when the iphone arrived, but it doesn't serve them any purpose. Itunes, despite being bloated and buggy, drives business to thier music and app stores. So, they very intentionally glued the sync piece into itunes. My Mom knows what iSync does, but she can't figure out the sync options in Itunes.

If your computers aren't networked, it shouldn't take an hour to copy a few files to a thumb drive and move them between computers. If they are, then share your iTunes libraries between computers. A song transfers in less than ten seconds.

Nope, not talking about file transfer time. It takes an hour to sync and backup whether you are adding 1 song or 100 to a 32GB iphone. You would think they could perform an incremental sync and backup by now. I'm hoping they will add over the air updates to the OS, but I don't think they are feeling much pressure from Android.

As far as "capturing you within their ecosystem", well, I'd need to know specifically what you are alluding to. If you are complaining about the so-called "walled garden" of the App Store, that's a non-starter for me.

There isn't anything wrong with the App Store, but it does look like they are about to drive Pandora and LastFM out with the new in-app subscription policy. That is just the sort of move you would expect Apple to make before launching their own music subscription service.

I could go on but I'm not trying to bash Apple. It just seems to me that some people cut them a lot of slack. If Microsoft were to make similar busines decisions or have a similarly dominant market position they would be viewed with more suspicion. I've had iphones since the 3G, but I aknowlege their flaws and limitations.

iTunes is completely different in OS X. the iPhone and the iPad have great browsers. it's not the browser that dictates whether the devices support flash. i hate flash, and i'm glad that sad sack piece of crap software isn't on either device.

iTunes is completely different in OS X. the iPhone and the iPad have great browsers. it's not the browser that dictates whether the devices support flash. i hate flash, and i'm glad that sad sack piece of crap software isn't on either device.

Haha, the ecosystem argument again. Why would Apple fix iTunes on the PC when the obvious solution is to have everyone buy a Mac?

Web-based flash apps compete with the App store. It isn't religion, its business.

Regardless of their business model or their software, they boast about their hardware like they are doing the world a favor by making phones and tablets and using "green" parts that make the world a better place. I work with guys from Taiwan that know people who work in factories where they are imprisoned, and treated like hostages, driving some to suicide...all because of Apple's highly profitable "intellectual property".

People should hate Apple for real reasons.

Yeah, at the Foxconn dormitories where they manufacture parts for apple, they had to install nets above the ground floor to discourage jumpers.

Haha, the ecosystem argument again.
A prison can be considered an ecosystem by the same token ;)

Why would Apple fix iTunes on the PC when the obvious solution is to have everyone buy a Mac?
Lemme get that straight, an excuse to produce a crappy software for any platform is to force people to the "right" platform, mac in this case? SJ always said, users have no clue what they really want, but I don't think so, do you?
And why is it obvious? To me it's obvious that the product (itunes) is crap... And if it's on purpose, to make me do something, then it's crystal clear to stay away from that company. For the record, or to be fair, itunes is the same POS on macs too. Don't have to look too far, any mac forum is full of complaints/issues about itunes.

It isn't religion, its business.
Theoretically it isn't, but practically, when my coworker seriously argues with me that even though on mac he can't resize window except from the lower right corner, or can't find anything in the file system(let alone copying file path), he's still somehow more productive on macs(I made him time same simple tasks on windows and macs, things were faster on win 7, but who cares...), or lots of people seriously believe macs are impervious to viruses(even though safari is one of the easiest to hack on hackercons), including those already infected, I tend to consider the possibility...

You have really low standards as browsers go. I have had an ipad since it came out and love the form factor, but there are times when I want to chunk across the room because it won't render pages correctly including some on this site.

And don't get me started on them pushing people to upgrade the software on their hardware only find out that the upgrade makes the device perform like crap and there is no way to downgrade back to a previous version.

Bert,

Before you do anything else, read this article. If your wife has been synching her iPhone with her computer, chances are the information may still be there are recoverable.

http://ipod.about.com/od/iphonetroubleshooting/ss/restore-iphone.htm

Rick

I did this, but evidently the restore function is what created this probledm. I am deducing that the restored file was actually empty of data, and iTunes in its infinite wisdom decided no data is new data to replace all the goodies already there. And of course the first thing restore warns you of is that that its going to wipe your data and reset factory settings.

That is not what I wanted to do. I just wanted back up my contacts. N o ability to do only that, and its buried somewhere but I don't know where. And it wiped my sim???? D&mn that is no place Apple should be going.

iTunes is designed to funnel you to buy music, it is not good for maintaining your devices. One of my true pet peeves is that it tells you not to disconnect while it performs some actions, but no where does it have a nice cutge icon telling you it is busy at work, it appears like its frozen, inducing you to do something stupid like shake vigorously

OK my friend who is an engineer with Motorola said the data may be recoverable from my wife's previous iPhone. I sure hope so.

Does anybody know where the default file for the back ups are stored on the PC? If I could check that it might be possible for me to do something. Right now I have no clue where iTunes stores the backup or the filename....

Here is were it is located on a pc.

Windows XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

Windows 7 and Vista:
C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

iTunes usually stores older backups along with the most current. You should be able to access all of them and be able to restore from previously saved backups. To do this open up iTunes and plug your phone in. Now right click the iPhone in iTunes and click ‘Restore from Backup’. You should have multiple backups to choose from in the pull down, and can restore back to any of those backups.

Thanks I will try that. A friend who works for Motorola managed to get an older iPhone that my wife had and d/l much of the lost data from there. And that was the stuff that would be hard to get back, it was so old.

Love/hate Apple and I love/hate Microsoft and I love/hate technology in general.

Not a fan of iTunes though I have to say it doesn't take more than a minute to synch my iPhone and I love the interface with Outlook - stops me forgetting stuff. These days I listen to more music on vinyl then I do on iTunes.

I just downloaded the Atomic Web Browser for my 3GS so we'll see how that works out. Didn't like Safari and couldn't get along with Opera Mini (though like Opera Desktop).

I buy what I think will work for me and have no brand loyalty. I have never changed to a Mac because the PC has always done what I needed it to do. If I needed something a Mac offered that a PC didn't (or wasn't as good at) I would get a Mac.

I don't see the point of an iPad but if it would send texts as my iPhone does I would get one because the font is so much larger so I could finally read incoming and outgoing texts without having to find my glasses :)

Hello/my pc died last week! That was my 4th one in 7 years. I just purchased a mac. I was wondering where the tower was - there is none. It's all in the screen. What happens when the screen gives?? So far I love my big mac . Marek

Back