HEEELLLP!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DWSmith

Still Plays With Blocks
Reaction score
My wife washed my new knife in the dishwasher, the one Dave rehandled. Now the handle looks all dark and ugly. Can it be saved?
DWS_0582.jpg

First of all, wash her favorite handbag in the washing machine and sandblast her favorite shoes;) Never had a handle like that out of the sishwasher, but I would expect that a fine grit sanding and some buffing should restore it? Maybe rubbing on a little tung oil or boiled linseed oil before buffing. Hope you will be able to revive it,

Stefan

Dave. Take it from me. Keep your mouth closed. Rehandle jobs are way cheaper than divorce.

I'm sorry, Dave but this really made me laugh. I'd think being married to a wood guy that spends a lot of time on knife forums would prevent your spouse from doing this but...

Hahahahaha! Sorry to laugh, just glad to see I'm not the only one suffering such "incidents".
Light sanding, buffing and some oil love should do the trick. This time.

Who better to do a little light sanding on some stabilized wood than you Dave? I imagine your wife feels pretty lousy.

Oh lawd the horror! hopefully it can be saved.

As soon as I saw "wife" and "dishwasher" I lost it!:lol2: Sorry! As the others have suggest, light sanding with a high grit then buff it with some white rouge, if you have it, and you should be back in business. Good luck!

And I thought it was bad when I found hubby washing dishes with my knives soaking in the sink...that hurts my heart just to look at the picture.

(the cure for me was to threaten to wash his guitars in the bathtub next time my knives soaked in the sink.)

Good luck! I have to deal with similar things due to a flatmate using my gyutos and not cleaning them, from time to time. I'm curious to see how this turns out. Any damage to the blade?

Well at least you know it's clean! :rofl2:

David, if you want me to take a look at it just send it on over, no worries.

Hmm... Perhaps some wives may make 'mistakes' when they get a little tired of their husbands' blade fetishes. :angel2:

You may well find that for this sort of thing a weak hydrogen peroxide (low volume 20 vol or 6% )will often lighten wood stains it is often used by people on board yachts to remove dark water marks on Teak that have got under the varnish -note have to remove the varnish first although I would not expect a quality knife handle to have a varnish on it .
Still I am sure by now you have sanded it out !

First, get a padlock on the dishwasher and you hold the only key...

HOt damn. The battle continues and it is not just the wife or kids that you have to watch out for. Often guests want to help out after dinner and somehow the knives that you made damn sure to remove before the uninitiated arrived, some how end up in the sink.
Had a nice burn mark on a handle once after guests... gotta laugh.

got to laugh. Not me, I gotta be putting up a sign next time telling helpful guest to keep their grimy mitts off my J-Blades, less one falls of the wall and takes off a finger. After I demonstrate the bladed efffectivness on news paper and arm hair. I can' even get anyone to even pick them up by the handle. makes me laugh when someone is intimidated at picking up a knife by the handle. Get back or get wacked!

HOt damn. The battle continues and it is not just the wife or kids that you have to watch out for. Often guests want to help out after dinner and somehow the knives that you made damn sure to remove before the uninitiated arrived, some how end up in the sink.
Had a nice burn mark on a handle once after guests... gotta laugh.

got to laugh. Not me, I gotta be putting up a sign next time telling helpful guest to keep their grimy mitts off my J-Blades, less one falls of the wall and takes off a finger. After I demonstrate the bladed efffectivness on news paper and arm hair. I can' even get anyone to even pick them up by the handle. makes me laugh when someone is intimidated at picking up a knife by the handle. Get back or get wacked!

Something along those lines... I showed my gf how sharp my knife gets and now she warns the guests when she sees it's not hidden away :lol2:

This is one of the funniest posts, but I also feel the pain. Luckily my gf is very attentive with my knives and we the ones NOT allowed to be used by anyone than me (or her) are on a separate magnet rack. But I am terrified with the idea that one day someone takes one of my carbon Gyutos to cook something while I am not there

Back