Damascus Steel

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kartman35

Reaction score
Just wondering why it seems that all the damascus blades coming from Japan seem to always be damascus Jigane over non damascus hagane whereas from custom makers from around here make them out of solid damascus right down to the edge...

Are there any Japanese knives with 'monosteel' damascus?

Just wondering why it seems that all the damascus blades coming from Japan seem to always be damascus Jigane over non damascus hagane whereas from custom makers from around here make them out of solid damascus right down to the edge...

Are there any Japanese knives with 'monosteel' damascus?

Are you referring to wootz, or pattern welding?

I meant pattern welding. It just seems odd that the highest end Japanese blades that I've seen don't have that kind of steel on the edge...always some sort of monosteel hagane...I mean other than the link posted earlier anyway...

I am definitely just a layman, but my cursory understanding is that a fully pattern-welded blade would not perform as well as a truly monosteel or honyaki blade, and the the pattern welding is mainly for decoration. Even true wootz is inferior to modern high-end steels, according to many sources. I have heard something of fully pattern welded blades having "micro serrations" or some such. . . not really sure how credible or functional that is.

I think it all boils down to function over form.

Also, check out "tamahagane" steel - maybe that's what you're looking for? (now the knives by that brand name)

No I'm talking about knives I've seen by Bob Kramer, Devin Thomas, Pierre Rodrigue etc. etc. vs knives like Shigefusa kitaeji, Hinoura, Heiji etc. etc.

I am definitely just a layman, but my cursory understanding is that a fully pattern-welded blade would not perform as well as a truly monosteel or honyaki blade, and the the pattern welding is mainly for decoration. Even true wootz is inferior to modern high-end steels, according to many sources.

I know it's very old discussion, but... "many sources"?
I have read about true wootz and it seems like very well-made wootz knife can be as good or even better than modern high-end steels. I think it is more about blacksmith's talent, not only the good material.
But this is still what I only read and heard :)

Back