Zwilling --which line?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lrbaldwin

Reaction score
I have a cousin who has a $100 discount on any knife at zwillingonline.com . The only Henckels knives I have are the Twin Cermax that have been discontinued, and I've been very happy with them. Zwilling has so many different lines, and I can't tell from the site what the blade quality is. There's Pro Sm, Four Star 2, and Twin Profection that seem to be in his price range. Can anybody tell me what the difference in blade quality is?

Thanks,
Linda

If only from zwillingonline.com, i would get a Miyabi of some sort. Not sure what your budget is after the $100, but these are pretty sweet.

I like the Cronidur line, though my personal preference these days has shifted to wa-handled gyutos and so forth. Not a fan of the aesthetics of the Miyabis, but that's all subjective.

I like the Cronidur line, though my personal preference these days has shifted to wa-handled gyutos and so forth. Not a fan of the aesthetics of the Miyabis, but that's all subjective.

That steel looks interesting. I pulled a screenshot from a pamphlet under 1000x magnification:

9842108176_b0daa387d7_o.png

Very fine grain structure compared to the other steel.

Without any experience with the knifes or reading any reviews I would go for:
MIYABI Birchwood SG2 Paring knife
For this reasons:
1. Small paring knife is hard to find on J market
2. I always wanted a knife from the PM alloy
3. I like the aesthetic of it
4. Not that expensive, especially if you have $100 discount

That steel looks interesting. I pulled a screenshot from a pamphlet under 1000x magnification:

9842108176_b0daa387d7_o.png

Very fine grain structure compared to the other steel.

Exactly! Good steel treatment, good F&F, no huge bolster, and I really don't mind Micarta for the handle either.

Exactly! Good steel treatment, good F&F, no huge bolster, and I really don't mind Micarta for the handle either.

Its so expensive though! They should do a Miyabi line with this steel for the people that prefer the more French profile.

If there's a 100 bucks off, I'd go for the Cronidur stuff.

The profile on the Cronidur chefs is awful, what were they thinking with the 6" "Prep knife"?. The carver and the parer look okay. Ymmv.

The Miyabi Birchwood has been roundly praised on here, supposed to be reasonably tough/chip resistant for the hardness/steel. Very good fit and finish too, but expensive. The Miyabi 600S has been touted as a high value (and somewhat tougher) option. You can read a comprehensive review by a very highly regarded member (Gator) here:

http://zknives.com/knives/kitchen/ktknv/henckels/miyabi600dgy270.shtml

Thanks, I'll recommend Cronidur. Anybody know what the edge angle is? I see the Miyabi line is such a small angle he wouldn't be able to sharpen it himself. I like both my Messermeister Meridiean Elite and the Henckels Cermax with 15 deg per side.

Thanks so much!

Thanks, I'll recommend Cronidur. Anybody know what the edge angle is? I see the Miyabi line is such a small angle he wouldn't be able to sharpen it himself. I like both my Messermeister Meridiean Elite and the Henckels Cermax with 15 deg per side.

Thanks so much!

according Zwilling: Cronidur line Edge angle 12.5° on each side (10° on Santoku)

My guess would be 12/15 degrees per side. Did your cousin have a preference for profile e.g. German vs French?

The profile on the Cronidur chefs is awful, what were they thinking with the 6" "Prep knife"?. The carver and the parer look okay. Ymmv.

The Miyabi Birchwood has been roundly praised on here, supposed to be reasonably tough/chip resistant for the hardness/steel. Very good fit and finish too, but expensive. The Miyabi 600S has been touted as a high value (and somewhat tougher) option. You can read a comprehensive review by a very highly regarded member (Gator) here:

http://zknives.com/knives/kitchen/ktknv/henckels/miyabi600dgy270.shtml

The cousin, like so many folks, has way too many knives, and they're all cheap. I just sharpened some for him, and it seems such a waste because they won't hold their edge for long. I agree that the parer might be his best choice. I've never had much use for carving knives. We're country ham folks, and a good salmon/country ham knife does the job on turkeys and chickens too.

Back