Quantcast
What's Your Knife Confession? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's Your Knife Confession?

My dirty little secret: I have way too many awesome knives that I have yet to use. The primary reason is that I wanted to get comfortable with my sharpening skills before I wrecked my expensive knives. It was only until recently that I started venturing out and using some of my other knives now that I am very happy with my sharpening technique.
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

I cut myself really bad one day while using a nice yanagi. I'm generally a really calm guy but it was a bad cut on a bad day at a really bad time and I became totally irate. I survived. The knife didn't.

Spokane, WA aka Spokanistan, or Spoklahoma, or...
    I have a really bad knife confession. mhenry is going to hate me. I still havent opened the post box I received from him Feb 12 2013. Why? I am afraid to ruin it. I am thinking of bartering it to someone who will teach me to break down a pig. I dont know. I just havent opened it. It was a very beautiful knife in pictures.
    Amat Victoria Curam Fortune favors the prepared.
    "A human being is primarily a bag for putting food into." -George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by quantumcloud509 View Post
    I have a really bad knife confession. mhenry is going to hate me. I still havent opened the post box I received from him Feb 12 2013. Why? I am afraid to ruin it. I am thinking of bartering it to someone who will teach me to break down a pig. I dont know. I just havent opened it. It was a very beautiful knife in pictures.
    ill show you how to break down a pig. I wanna see this thing. dear god. 8 months in the box?!!!!
    "A recipe has no soul. You as the cook must bring soul to the recipe." -Thomas Keller

Spokane, WA aka Spokanistan, or Spoklahoma, or...
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Gibson View Post
    ill show you how to break down a pig. I wanna see this thing. dear god. 8 months in the box?!!!!
    lol im thinking of asking my chef to teach me everything and giving him the knife really. that way we would both benefit and i will get lots of hands on time. ill unpackage it this week. *shudder* from what i remember it was a sight to behold and i had to sell things to acquire it lol.
    Amat Victoria Curam Fortune favors the prepared.
    "A human being is primarily a bag for putting food into." -George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    I know most of you have something you're not proud of, but no pressure to expose yourself.

Here is mine:

*** I haven't been taking care of my knives and many of them aren't sharp. I did something today (which I will not disclose) that made my sharp knifelike heart sink -- it was really that dull of a knife. Cognitive dissonance has set in and I feel guilty, which leads to avoidance. And some knives I don't enjoy using right now because they remind me of what I should be doing. I should simply sharpen my knives but life's other duties have pulled me in so many other directions: preparing to move, mortgage financing (W TF's up with that crap), a new wonderful kid, legal action x2, and other crazy things. I don't get much sleep. To make it worse, I have been cheating on KKF. No, it isn't one of those other $2 knife board whores...I have been hanging with wine geeks in their internet space. They aren't even that friendly...but at the end of the day there is usually an uncorked bottle of wine next to me and not a sharpening stone.

Anyhow, I will be back in form one day...just not now. This is my confession -- now back to my bordeaux.

k.
    I know you have at least one knife that's sharp, Drinky, because it wasn't so long ago that I sent it back to you.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    I know you have at least one knife that's sharp, Drinky, because it wasn't so long ago that I sent it back to you.
    LOL...and you are correct sir; it is still sharp.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Breaking down a pig is more practice than anything. Buy some little ones and work up. It is so much fun. I've been considering going back to my old job on pig day just to relive the old days. Goats are another good way to practice. They are smaller and usually cheaper.

Also if you have any questions let me know, I've done this a lot and know some tricks to make it easier. Using the weight of the pig is key. That is what makes it either very easy or very hard, because if you spend the whole time fighting the pigs 275# it WILL win and you'll slip and cut yourself, or gash up your loin or belly.
    Last edited by Dardeau; 09-25-2013 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Typos

confession.

my favorite knife cost me $5.